Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Happy Birthday Gremlin....

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Happy Birthday Gremlin....

Title: Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Happy Birthday Gremlin....
Happy Birthday, Gremlin!!!
On April Fool's Day, 1970, I went to "just look" at the new Gremlin at my local AMC dealer, Behlen Motors, in Lincoln Nebraska. They had four on the floor. I mean the showroom floor. Two were white with red stripe, one was blue with white stripe, and one was green, with just the narrow stripe. I still think Frost White with red stripes and interior is the best color combo for an early Gremlin. Somehow, I ended up agreeing to buy one of the white ones. 199 CID, 3-speed column shift, deluxe red interior with carpet and pleated seats, 600x13 whitewall tires, wheel covers, luggage rack, and heater but no radio. This was in the days before computers and instant credit approval, so they had to check with the bank, yadda, yadda, yadda.  April 1st was a Wednesday, if I remember right, and they called me on Friday to say that my credit had been approved, and to come get the car! I still had the first Gremlin on the road in my town.
The sticker was $2143 (I still have it somewhere) and they gave me $150 for my '67 Plymouth which was covered with hail dents. Financed for three years, the payments were $70 per month. I loved it, except for that balky three-speed column gearshift, and I was always kind of disappointed with the gas mileage.  I'd pay a pretty good price today for one just like it, if it had an automatic or floorshift.
Onree in Nebraska

on 4/1/07 10:26 AM, Eddie Stakes at eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx did write:

April 1st, 1970. Hard to believe it has been 37, almost 40 years. You could
get your new Gremlin for $1998.00 from your friendly American Motors
dealership. This is a photo I sell copies of showing the introduction of the
Gremlin at the New York Auto Show:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/press_photos/70gremlinnyautoshow.JPG

Automotive maintenance Automotive radiators Automotive radiator repair