[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Back in the amc way - me too!

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Back in the amc way - me too!

Glad to hear that you are making progress! I used the $35 spring
compressor today on my 'old' Gremlin. That was an EXCELLENT investment
on my part I must say!!!!!! I found that after you tighten up the
compressor just enough to pull the bolts out of the spring seat, you
can tilt the spring out and it will slide down the A arm as you
release the tension on the spring. The spring is very controlled and
not likely to pop out on you. I wish the guy selling them would add
the correct bolts, washers, & nuts to go on the bottom of the
compressor. I spent more time trying to find the correct size, length,
& nuts than I did removing both springs! I finally gave up and went to
Advance Auto and bought some. The bolts should really be Grade 3 or
better IMHO, and I plan on finding some to keep with the compressor.
The entire crossmember assembly (from disc brake to disc brake) was
removed after the springs were taken out. Next I dropped the entire
steering assembly and lastly the joust bumpers off the old car. As
soon as I get my 'new' car back from the upholstery shop (next week?)
I will be ready to start on the new work! Thank God for the nice
weather today. Also went on a Haunted Hayride tonight with the family -
 tooooooooo fuuuuuuuunnnnnnnn!! ~Lu~
--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "djdaveinpa" <djdave@...>
wrote:

> Got some gremlin time in tonight, cranked that spring compressor up
> only to find the spring slipped off the rubber... what an arm killer.
> Fixed that by spending 30 min. unscrewing and rescrewing the
> compressor tight.  Dropped the swaybar, and removed the strut rod
only
> to find out I have the wrong bushings for both. vendors suck. Managed
> to get the upper and lower control arms in, along with the spindle
and
> backing plate. Unfortunately while I was in the garage with my
> gremlin, a bear was in my yard with my garbage. Time to clean the
yard
> up.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional