Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: loation, location, location

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: loation, location, location

on 3/31/06 9:55 AM, Eddie Stakes at eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx did
write:

> Hi Doc, as for the ID theft, my point is/was that armed with X amount of
> information, a scammer can easily create, or then steal more info. Want a
> awesome example? I'm sure many of you get these 'great rate' credit card
> offers in the mail. I got one the other day from Citibank. It was Cookie
> Stakes. Problem is, Cookie is my dog, so not sure how she would tranfer
> balances with 0% interest for up to one year.
I've gotten card offers with my first name and my wife's maiden last name.

> But I deal with people daily, and have for many years, on the phone, email,
> and letters. And I simply stated the reason why many people do not list
> where they are at is because of scammers.
Actually, a phone number gives a potential scammer a closer location than
just saying TX, CA, NE or whatever.

> And if someone is serious about a
> item for sale or wanted, they will quickly follow up by a phone call,
> regardless of where seller might be. It determines whether someone is
> serious or not. Granted, buring a phone call might be a pain in the ass,
> however, a small price to pay
I don't mind paying for the call. A direct dialed long distance call is so
so cheap that it is almost free. Of course, with machines and voice mail,
the odds of actually talking to a live human approach zero. Let the phone
tag games begin.

> for a quickly diminishing supply of usable
> parts for our cars. And this applies to anything for sale. Yes, it is a
> common courtesy that people might put their location in their ads. No, it is
> not mandatory either, and up to the seller whether to divulge that
> information also however.
The phone number DOES divulge the location, it just makes it a pain to look
it up. Would be scammers probably know better than anyone else exactly how
to do that.

> Maybe we are old school, where we have manners, or social skills were
> different way back then. Every time I write a address on a letter I remember
> my first grade teacher Sister Amelda showing up how to write a address on a
> letter.
My granny had an awful time getting used to zip codes instead of zones, and
she absolutely hated the two-letter state abbreviations, since she had kids
in both ARizona and ARkansas. She would put the zip in between the city and
state where the old zone code used to go. I would get cards and letters
addressed to Lincoln 68503 Nebraska.

> Somewhere on my website's rambline al-quede, ted bundy, david koresh
> unibomber diatribe manifesto fatwah jihad of Shut Up & Drive it says it
> best: "If you are serious, call, do NOT email' and the reason behind that
> statement that is over a decade old is simple. Too many people rely solely
> on internet. With a phone call, you have the seller's instant attention,
Usually you get the seller's instant voicemail...then he gets yours...etc.
Much easier, since I am already sitting at the computer anyway, to use
email.

> can get specifics, including location. Might not be a big deal, but again,
> it is up to the seller(s) to give out their information, and many do not in
> this time and age, for a variety of reasons I guess!
The most common one being (I think) not thinking to do it.