Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Hey guys.

Nathan,
 Glad to have you aboard. You are correct in that the 2nd generation amc v-8 all look the same outside the difference is internal. You can not bore your 360 out to 401 however. The most you should bore is .030 over. Some have gone as much as .060 over but that is asking for trouble.
 Davis

Nathan Currie <vaderjedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I joined the group awhile back but I don't get a chance to post often.
Work blocked access to all Groups.

Anyway I picked up a 76 Gremlin back in August. It is a 232 automatic
with colum shift, PS, manual brakes. The body is pretty good. It needs
a good clean up of the 30 years worth of scraps but no major damage or
rust. Some one started to redo the interior but it is not a great job.
I want to convert the car to a V8. I have been reading up and have a
good idea of the parts I need. Since the car runs and drives now I am
not in a hurry.
Yesterday I picked up an AMC 360 out of a J10 for $100. It included
everything from the carb to the oil pan, alternator, PS pump, fan etc.
I am going to strip it to the bare block and start from there.

I have read that the 360 and 401 are basically the same block with
different internals. Could I take the 360 block and build it out as a
401?
I don't know the casting number of the block yet. I should haave
checked it while it was on the hoist.