Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2006 7:00 AM
Subject: RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Google (was- REAL BAD DAY...)

Eddie,

Your cake reference doesn't make sense.
Google wants to play by two sets of rules, one for US, one for China. They are only guessing that in a few years, that
democracy, or that foot in the door, will happen, which it won't. And hasn't.

Why aren't we complaining that McDonalds doesn't call the 'Quarter Pounder' by that name in France?
Possibly same reason the Mercury Caliente was name changed in Mexico and Chevy Nova in China.
We ain't takling a name change on a burger, we are takling about google bending to the ruls of the communist Chinese
government. Same with Yahoo and a few others who 'want to do business' there.
What is good for the goose is good for the gander if they wish to play ball.

To do business in other countries, you have to work within the political and regional conditions that
exist, not the ones ytou wish were there...unless you are prepared to launch an invasion to 'fix' those
places to fit your perception of what 'better' is (and we all see how swimmingly such efforts are going
in Iraq).
There are rules in place for US companies John for US based companies to adhere to, regardless of where
these US based companies wish to do business.

We don't have to imagine the US restricting things, as this isn't about 'China bad, so don't play with
them'. It's about slipping a little internet in now and watching how the average users respond over there.
Planting seeds.
Planting seeds is fine, however, google simply bent to the will of the communist government, period.

In the US, Google does business by US standards. In China, they do it by Chinese standards.
That is the whole problem, it is censorship.

Once
they get a foothold, the little subversive changes that slip in little by little can effect change. It happens
slow, but it happens. The alternative is to sit back, do nothing and whine about it...and keep sending
our money to them via Wal-Mart (the true 'have my cake and eat it too' situation).

That above is only assuming google won't be watched like a hawk and if they don't concede to Chinese
demands they will get kicked out of China. Imagine a Chinese company getting kicked out of US.
Read above links.
Eddie stakes

John