RE: [BaadAssGremlins] A Little Tweaking

The A/C on the pass side was a 75 thing. My orange car which is a late
74 ( It has an original 75 grill from the factory) has the A/C
compressor on the drivers side. Instead of an engineer making that
nightmare 75 setup belt adjusting wise a normal mechanic such as me and
my friend made the Delco fit in the 74 position. Sorry for those that I
might offend but after over 40 years of working all sorts of fabricating
jobs, body shops and other mechanical and fabricating jobs, engineers
and pencil pushers are great at what they do but most all that I have
known and had to deal with have never come out of their A/C'd office and
got their hands dirty. After I tried to explain to one engineer why a
certain bracket he designed for a building we were restoring/renovating
in N.Y. City next to the Empire State Building in the mid 80's wouldn't
work, he told me he was an engineer on this building and that building
and also the World Trade Center. For those old enough to remember the TV
commercials for the candy "Good & Plenty" Choo Choo Charlie was an
"Engineer" and all he needed was a box of good and plenty candy!!!!!!
and that is what I told him. He said "I think you are making fun of me".
DUH!!!! It cost 100,000$ to fix his F@#K up.
"Doc"

.

--- Begin Message --- Doc & Bill,
If you find a 232/258 with air on the passenger side,
the alt mounts under the a/c compressor bracket. I
have one on my 74 Gremmie and one waiting for my 70.
My 76 gets a 304 so don't know there yet. I can take
pics if you would like. Neither of my I6 Gremlins have
a/c, only the bracket.
Hal

--- AMC74HORNET@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On the Alt. I went big buck and bought a one wire
> like Hal said, but a
> brand new 100 amp one from Kennedy American. There
> is also somthing you
> have to do with the wiring to make the idiot light
> work. I didn't bother
> as I have an Auto Meter volt meter in the factory
> gauge pod under the
> dash. If you have power steering and it is a 74 you
> are in for some
> bracket modifications and other work to make it fit.
> Clearance with a
> car with power steering and the alt. is very very
> close. Check the AMX
> Files a few days back as I gave a detailed
> description on how mine as
> done. I didn't physically do it myself due to poor
> health but supervised
> and had machining done at another friends shop  and
> worked with my
> friend who did the final installation at his shop. I
> also got the part
> no# from a guy on the AMX files for a 1/4" shorter
> belt that helped. If
> you need the no# let me know. It was a real pain of
> a job but it was
> well worth what I had to spend to get rid of that
> old Motorola crap that
> was in the car.
> "Doc"
>
> > To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From: "William Renshaw" <lionwren@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 06:50:56 -0800
> Subject: RE: [BaadAssGremlins] A Little Tweaking

Doc, when you do a conversion like your talking about
here, with the alt., do you have to have a delco
voltage regulator also? What kind of donor car will
work and what years? Thanks Bill Id.