Re: [BaadAssGremlins] My Gremlin

Good luck on the bumper fitting. I am sure it will fit. On the seat belt
question you reminded me that the shoulder part of the seat belt was
removable. I have 2  1974 Hornets. One is an early build 74 which has
the shoulder part removable this car I bought new. The other is a late
build 74 and which the seat belt is slightly different and the shoulder
part does not come apart. The easiest way to tell which ones you have is
by looking where the shoulder belt comes out of the rear door panel. If
the plastic insert is about 1" wide by about 4" long with the slot for
the seat belt it is the early one, if the plastic insert with the slot
for the seat belt is approx 3"X4" it is the late 74.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message ---  Thanks for the tip on the fabric DOC. The strangest thing happened yesterday after posting my gremlin.  I went to ebay to look at something and the 1st thing up was a parts car. It is about 40 milles from my house in good shape and complete. Rear bumper looks great, allthough I don't know if a 78 rear will fit a 74 car. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and keep close eye on the auction or make offer for the parts I need. Also Doc The brackets are gone from the belts. In 74 they unhooked at the clasp so you could use only the lap belt if you wanted and they must be able to get them off that way. I had to admit I did do a big DOH when I read your email though  Paul

AMC74HORNET@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Paul I got the original seat insert material from SMS. They were very
helpful and sent me a sample before I ordered the material. The one< BR>thing I did do though was not to have them electrically heat the
material to make the pleat seams in the material like it was from the
factory as that is where I found it splits after only a few years. My
upholstery shop sewed the material to duplicate the factory pleats. The
back of the rear seat is original factory but the base is all new and
you can't tell the difference. This guy is a real craftsman. There is no
reason you cannot polish the stainless on the car. Use the same method I
outlined on the sill plate polishing in the damaged areas. If there is
no damage I use Mothers Aluminum & Mag Wheel polish on stainless. On
your seat belt pillar mounting problem there is a triangle bracket that
the seat belt passes through with a hole in it that bolts to the pillar.
It is not removable from the seat belt so it must be there. It bolts to
the pillar with  bolt similar to the ones that mount the seat belt to
the floor. The stepped torq ues headed bolt allows the triangle bracket
to pivot. There is a triangular plastic cover that snaps over it. An AMC
vender wanted 20$ a piece for the 2 of them NOS. I got mine free from
the Gremlin my friend parted out. He also wanted 8$ a piece for the
plastic bushing on the inside door locking rod, that I had to buy. :-(
"Doc"