Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Would I pay.....??

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Would I pay.....??

On this discussion I have to add my 2 cents too. I have been on a budget
my whole life since I got out of the Navy in 1969 and got married at 22
and raised 3 kids. The oldest is 34 and the baby is 26 now. I had to
scrimp on my cars so I could properly provide for my family. I had to
scrimp even more when in 1989 I became disabled. This is one of the
reasons I became so good at saving and repairing old parts. My father an
old country trained German mechanic used to say I fixed stuff he would
throw away and I still do as you all saw with my scuff plate resto,
plastic and vinal repairs. (Thanks Eddie for the kind words) Part of the
problem with doing an AMC is that people don't have the drive to spend
some times years hunting for the parts they need. I love the thrill of
the hunt. There are no junk yards here that have had any AMC's here for
over 20 years except one and he is an AMC guy and there have been only 2
there in the last 10 years. I love the net since it is where I find 99%
of my parts. I spent 1 1/2 years hunting for the parts for my orange
cars new interior before I even started to re-do it. The complete new
dash alone was made from parts from 7 different car with parts from the
lower 48 states. Between here at BAG and the AMX files I have bought
parts, been given parts, put onto parts I needed on eBay or a private
seller. A year and a half ago I came into a large sum of tax free money
so I didn't have to budget any more but the old Rambler mentality is
still there and restoring a restorable part is still practiced rater
than buy NOS or a good used one. Not bragging I could have easily bought
the NOS sill plates from pocket change out of my wallet. As I mentioned
earlier the wife is a putz and after riding in the car on 2 separate
occasions I can see where she dragged her feet on the freshly restored
sill plate. A better bit of money spent was buying a pickup truck load
of doors, hood, tail lights, trim bumper inserts, emblem, headlight
doors, a front bumper and assorted parts from Davis for 450$ delivered I
think. He also put me onto a set of NOS fenders for 400$ for my yellow
car. The reason some drivable cars are junked is that no one wants to
buy them as was the case with the Hornet Davis had, so he parted it out.
And I took Eddie's advice and bought all these parts just to have since
I have 2 of these cars. It worked out as the bumper inserts were the
same color as my orange car and just needed to be cleaned and polished
and are now on the car. One example of the I can't be bothered to hunt
for parts is the guy who owns the shop I go to. He told me he could not
be bothered hunting for parts like I do. He wants to just open a catalog
and pull out his credit card and order what he needs. Needless to say he
is building a 69 Firebird with a built Chevy small block 400. He said he
wanted somthing other than a Camero DUH it would be different if it had
the Poncho 400 or 455 instead of a Chevy engine!!!!!! But this is why I
say anyone can build a Ford or a Chevy but it takes a real man to build
an AMC.  Check out the totally repo Camero convert they are building on
that new muscle car show and featured in Hot Rod Magazine. I'll keep my
Hornet's thank you.
"Doc"