Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Next Project

Davis I wish it was that easy. But to use a to use a roll on silver
paint would not hold up as good as a spray on one even if it was clear
coated. To paint the grill black I would still have to scuff the whole
thing with 600# sandpaper so the paint will stick and not peel off. I
will scuff the whole grill with 1000# sand paper after sanding off the
silver with 400# sand paper. Mask it up and paint the silver Eastwood
wheel paint and then clear the whole grill with the Eastwood wheel paint
clear. I am experimenting with one of the headlight rims I got from you
to see how this works.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message ---
Doc,
 Instead of masking the grille, why not paint the whole thing black then use a sponge brush to apply the silver? That is my plan for a 71 hornet grille restoration comming up.
 Davis

AMC74HORNET@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Well it turns out my window tinting has been cancel'd till next week.
The guy all of a sudden went on vacation. My next project is the
restoration of the silver paint on the headlight doors and grill. The
factory silver is worn off in a lot of places from 32 years of being
blasted by wind and road dirt from normal use. The plastic grill itself
is not damaged. I could just paint everything flat black like the 77
Hornet AMX, but I can't. I like the way it looks from the factory on a
74. Also this is a late 74 car with a the more elaborate 75 grill. I
ordered some silver wheel spray paint from Eastwood to use. Man this is
going to be a pain to mask up. On top of the silver I will spray the
same Eastwood semi-gloss clear I used on the wheels. The clear will dull
out the silver paint and protect it and make it look factory.
"Doc"