Re: [BaadAssGremlins] amc on musclecar on spike tv

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] amc on musclecar on spike tv

Eh, I might chime in here too. Both sides. AMC don't sell. You can look back thru the years and see AMC coverage 'in the back of the bus' (so to speak) by many different magazines, of which I have dozens of. Some of course did put them in better positions in the pages, and some even (gasp!) put them on the cover. One of my favorites is not one, but two different Muscle Car Review magazines when they did their 'muscle car shootout' and in two seperate photo shoots, in two different years, the AMC was in back. Way back of the photo of 6-8 cars. Could harly tell it was even a AMC, sure could nto tell if just glacning at magazine stand.

Both years both different AMCs came back and won the shootout.

However, what 'sells' magazings? Of course GTO, front and center, Charger, 442, Camaro, and Barracuda were usually front nad center, simply because they sell magazines.

This bias is something Doc has mentioned before (maybe not with magazines) but it is something I have seen thru the years even going back to when AMC was still in business.
And I have tons of the print magazines to prove it. I never did understand why you might have a beautiful 73 plum AMX shoved in the back pages with Joe Weider's wimpy guy getting kicked in sand face guy, penile enlargement ads, and other stuff. Front pages reserved for Yenko, hemi, Copo, and other stuff we have seen a million times, maybe several times in one year in different mags. Why? Well it sells.

Not to say AMC don't sell I guess. But if you have ever noticed in my vendors list I have very 'few' mixed make rags. Old Cars Weekly, Cars & Parts, Hemmings to name a few. These are 'AMC friendly' and have been for decades. Sure there are other like MuscleCar Enthusiast, and lately Car Craft getting aMC chummy.

I accepted the fact that for whatever reason, which is beyond my, or anyone's control, when you see a AMC cross the line at Barratt Jackson you will probably hear (what is that doing here?) or (nice Rambler) or something derogatory. I didn't see the Mike Gray car but to me, three  minutes is three minutes and I am estatic for any type of press, even mundane, or well, not flattering press. Especially in 2006.

No, no one has to "accept" this either, but hard not to, when it has been going on since the cars were new. Yes, there are some who are uneducated about AMC. And many could give a rat's ass about anything AMC too. This is why you have to sometimes educate them. Respect is earned, not demanded. You can have the fastest car at the track and beat everyone's ass and still some will not like your AMC. Big deal, it was fun thrashing them. Same at car shows. Same on the street.

But don't everyone get too worked up about that infomercial on tv that was three minutes long. It's my understanding that it could have been a hour show, but most ended up on editing production floor. And so it goes, we need to be thankful for the press we get, period.

Not everyone will be happy with the press we get, or as in John's words, being a ugly red headed stepchild. However, it is up to each and everyone of us who owns a AMC to change that perspective, even if it takes one damned person at a time, whether it is the announcer at B/Jackson auction, or a timekeeper, judge at ISCA, wherever.

Speaking of press, how about some of you emailing Playing Mantis/Johnny Lightning and thanking them for the new Gremlin 1:64th scale? Watch for another Gremlin to come out in April, followed by a new 69 Big Bad Blue AMX under the Street Series. So thank them for the 'positive' aspects. Address your thanks to Rob Ragan at PM.

While at it, how about ramping up the thanks to Car Craft and editor Doug Glad for toying with a AMC Rambler? You know they get hate mail for choosing a Rambler. Many would rather see them build a 'mainstream' vehicle, that 'the paretn company is still in business'.
Hmmm....maybe next project they can choose a Olds or Plymouth, those are joining us in the orphan car shows now! The way things are going, maybe all of GM and Ford join us.

Anyhows, ya'll keep up good work, and send those 'readers rides' photos in, write those articles, and keep AMC in the press. The alternative, is we disappear like Studebaker forever; and no press, no articles, and few meets. Think about it.....
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx