RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Oh, the HORROR! and Davis' AMX 'no sale'

RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Oh, the HORROR! and Davis' AMX 'no sale'

Title: Message

Eddie,

Yes and no, if I recall correctly.

I had bought a Cherokee for $1400 and sold it for $3000 two days later without even cleaning it.
I took $2500 of that money and bought the Javelin. And since $1600 was 'profit' on the Jeep, I
only out $900 of my own 'earned' money. I then dumped about $1500 worth of long-sought-and-
hoarded bits and pieces into it to make the interior near-mint. More was spent on other details...
shocks, whels, twin-grip rear, AMX grillework...etc. When sold, I had about $2500 of real money
in the car (none of this accounts for the prior owner's investments..$4500 on the engine alone,
new paint, new top, new upholstery, carpet...he dumped a mint in it). I sold it to the first person
that bought hard cash in a reasonable amount....by today's standards a 'mere' $3500. Nowadays,
you get a rusty project for that much.

The eBayer may not be the guy I sold it to. I emailed *my* buyer to ask if he'd sold it after I
sold it to him...no answer and no bounced mail...so who knows.

And absolutely, by parting that car, he threw away thousands. That car, complete as I sold it,
would today easily top the $7500 I just got for my 360 Hornet. Dare I say, it would be a $10k car
easily. especially to someone that looked hard at the motor and knew his stuff. Se the atached
photo for an inside view with the intake off. This was no 'all show, no go' car...everything was top-
drawer.

I've parted my share of cars other would have said were 'savable'....but none were clean runners
like this car. All were total resto projects...for folks with GOBS of cash to sink in them. When I
tried to sell them whole, nobody wanted them for what I knew were fair values...so they got parted.
Yea, I could sold 'em whole cheaper..but that buyer would have been the one to part them for the
bucks. Had that happen once...won't do it again.

John W Rosa
www.JavelinAMX.com

1971 AMC Javelin ADPS 401 (police car)
www.javelinamx.com/JavHome/jwr/71ADPS/