Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: 77 amx springs

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: 77 amx springs

Ok Dan I know you don't want to hear it from "ME" and I fully expect to
get another personal private E-Mail from you again tomorrow but here it
is. Unless you have above average mechanical skills, messing with an AMC
front end changing the springs is "VERY" dangerous even with the right
tools a professional can be injured or "KILLED" by a coil spring popping
out. The 50+ year experienced AMC "DEALER" mechanic I knew was blind in
one eye from getting hit in the head with a spring that popped. And I am
not ragging on you son. I want to make sure the first time AMC'ers
realize this fact about AMC front ends. Also the 60's and early 70's
Mustang's, Falcon's and Torino's have the same front end design. I have
V8 72 Torino front gas shocks in my yellow 74 Hornet. Now to the plain
simple facts putting non A/C springs or cut coils will lower the car and
when you hit a bump the lower "A" arm will hit the bump stop and the
shocks will bottom out. You did see this triangle shaped bracket bolted
to the chassis with a rubber bumper on it didn't you? I have modified
urethane ones on my yellow car. When it bottoms out it will cause bump
steer and jerk the steering wheel out of your hands an if your fingers
are in the wrong position WILL BREAK THEM!!! and you will loose control
of the car. If you want a low rider AMX spend the 5 "G"s and have a
profession install the air bag suspension. If you just want a safe car
spend the losey 160$ for new rear springs and be done with it
already!!!!! And by the way I was a jet engine mechanic in the Navy and
also a flight deck plane captain on an aircraft carrier who had the
final say over whether an 8 million dollar aircraft was launched and the
5 lives in it. Fabricator, heavy equipment mechanic, custom pin striper
and painter and AMC owner for 40 years and AMC dealer mechanic in the
last 40 years qualifies me to answer the safety questions here when I
see some one doing some thing dangerous. Sorry Bart I just had to say it
but unsafe is just that unsafe.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- If cutting the front springs is bad, are there any springs that I
can swap out that will lower the front safely (the car has a/c-maybe
non-a/c springs?).  I only want to lower the front about 1-2".  I
realize that the front geometry will change-can adjustments to
camber, caster, toe-in/out compensate for these changes?

Thanks,
Dan

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Davis Martin <martin-
davis@xxxx> wrote:

> Cuting the front coils is a REALLY BAD idea. It will definitly
make it handle WORSE.
>    Call ESPO Springs n things http://www.springsnthings.com/ They
can help you with replacing the rear leafs. I got the heavy duty 5
leaf and it was only 160 for both shipped to my door.
>    Davis
>
> "Dan M." <vegadan@xxxx> wrote:
>   I noticed that the back of my 77 amx is riding a little low. I
could
> replace the rear springs, or maybe cut a coil off of the front
springs
> to lower that end. I kind of like the latter idea, because it
would
> lower the car a little and give it a better stance, plus improve
> handling. But I thought I would check here before I did anything
> see if anybody has any experience (good and bad) with this issue.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

--- End Message ---