Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Overheating question?

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Overheating question?

Ralph, my guess, and that is all it is, is that either the thermostat is
stuck, or radiator plugged, or possibly very low on fluid inside radiator.
Could be something like a incorrect radiator cap too. Have had them all
here, awhile back one of my Eagles was doing same. The radiator looked good,
but upon removing it, found it to be 900 pounds (or so) as it was clogged up
severely! I simply changed radiator and now car barely reaches operating
temps! Another was a 75 Hornet 232, 3spd driving back from Corpus Christi
with load of aMX parts, it overheated on I-59 and left me stranded. Was so
much steam that people were slowing down thinking the car was on fire.
Engine was so hot that dried oil on it was bubbling, I was sure I wasted the
232. Tried putting some water in it and the radiator would violently go
CHUNG and spit it back 10 feet in air. Let it cool down for a hour, then
tried starting it, and putting more water in it. Darned thermostat was stuck
closed, same result; pulled off radiator hose, avoiding superheated
chernobyl steam, and stuck a long screwdriver in there and smashed it open.
Car drove all the way back to Houston (100 miles) no problem. There is some
good over counter 'flush' stuff from a variety of companies, available at
local auto parts stores you might want to check out also. But start with
easy stuff like thermostat, proper amount of fluid, and making sure radiator
is not plugged up. Even if it looks open from open cap, don't mean you can
see beyond that which could all be plugged, whihc was the problem with
several of mine. And it could be you overfilled it and it was getting rid of
overfillage, hard to tell from far away.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx