RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: I just dont know anymore :( :( (Building my 40

RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: I just dont know anymore :( :( (Building my 401)

Well, a stone-stock 401 in a Javelin for 1972 was in the high-15s,
so a rather stock 401 in a Gremster, provided you are controlling
traction well enough, should easily get around the 14.0 mark.

The '72 Randall XR Gremmies, in 'base' form, meaning they yanked a
304-2v and plopped a 401-4v in it, then slapped headers on it....
they ran 13.6s reliably while being as streetable as any other
factory-401 car. Even the warranty was intact.

They detached the pipes from the headers on a later run and got a
13.22 pass out of it.

The same car, running  a 291 duration, 477 lift cam, 750 carb,
headers, and a 4.10 rear saw a best of 12.75. That's with a stock
401 intake, stock heads/rods/pistons/crank, etc.

[Above info from Super Stock magazine, August 1972]

I say slap a Performer cam and intake on it with a 700cfm carb, a
good flowing set of mufflers, a shift kit for the tranny, an Ignitor
pointless ignition mod, flow the heads, angle the valves and add a
3.54 twin grip gear set and you should be seeing the 12/13 barrier
pretty quick. Some wide meats in the rear to aid launching would be
good, too. And pump gas is just fine in it.

Oh...and for MONEY'S sake, do an oil system mod!! Davis can tell
you all about those and their benefit. Don't leave home without it.

P.S.- here's something I didn't know...grab a set of 70 to Early-71
304 heads. They have the early hi-comp 51cc design you desire and
the dog leg ports. They have smaller valves but can be modded to
accept the valves from your 58cc 401 heads by any good shop. Viola-
you have hi-comp 401 heads for far less than anybody will ever sell
them to you for. That should knock even more off your ET.

Happy hunting! :)

John W Rosa
www.JavelinAMX.com

1971 AMC Javelin ADPS 401 (police car)