[BaadAssGremlins] Re: 78 Concord AMX & more

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: 78 Concord AMX & more

I agree with Doc, since this car will be going to your son, and with gas
prices the way they are, keep the six. Having a six is not a bad thing, if
you have ever seen Ed Fernandez run his six banger Gremlin itno the 11s for
instance. And there is a TON of speed equipment available for the 232-258
sixes also. Lots of bolt on performance, check Jeep suppliers like Four
wheel drive Hardware on my vendors list.

One thing Doc also mentioned about the front air dam on the 77-78s. There is
a AMC memo on this I believe 77, as the air dam/front spoiler on the 77 AMX
was mostly cosmetics when a lot of 70s automakers were adding things to make
a non fast car look fast. "Bolt On" stuff to alter appearance was all the
rage:
http://geocities.com/magnesium_/78rtad.jpg

The "street fleet" above could have been called "the street sweeper fleet"
as all show and no go.

Also available only in 1978, following the Super Coupes, was the A43 "Street
Kit Car" package. It was similar to the Super Coupe, but added door and roof
number decals (43, Richard Petty's number) and other cosmetic items to
resemble a race car (including a larger spoiler and a "bolt-on look for the
fender flares). Special two-tone paint (red for Dodge, blue for Plymouth)
was also a distinguishing factor. Wheels had no hubcaps, and the bolts
showed. Unlike the Super Coupes, choosing the A43 package required
purchasing power steering, power brakes, and an automatic transmission. This
was also a rare option -- about 247 Volare Street Kit Cars and 145 Aspen
Street Kit Cars were built.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/skpowell/images/76volrr.gif

And the Mustang II (gee, this car has about as big a ID crisis as AMC!) also
sported a big flair kit:
http://www.mustangii.net/photo_scans_kingcobra.asp

Interesting above is that "Mustangers" have never "accepted" what I like to
call 'the child's portion Mustang from 74-78. So you think the AMC hobby
argues and gripes and whines a lot among ourselves? Here is a company that
has been around 3X or more the time AMC ever was and is still in business!
And it still looks like the Three Stooges poking, slapping, nose rippin even
in 2005.....
http://www.mustangii.net/articles/its_time.asp

Ha, will have to toss this on the amc-list too, sort of funny to see that,
although sad but some lessons can be learned!

One more thing on the 78 AMX, as I got sidetracked and now have to go change
some bondo in Noah's pants. The memo AMC sent to dealerships was about the
front spoiler/air dam on the 77-78 AMXs (it specifically targeted the 77)
was that it would fly off at speeds above 70mph. I thought this funny as the
speedometer I believe only went to 80mph, so almost uh, redlining it at 70.
But the spoiler was only held on by four screws!!! You could pull into a
7-11 for a Big Gulp and the curb would relieve you of the spoiler. So AMC
was replacing them right and left....on the FEW cars that were sold. AMC
could have easily eliminated this problem however with a small center
bracket like was used in 71-74 AMXs which also had similiar problems. This
was corrected by a simplt metal brace mounted dead center with added
support. You can now buy those from American Performance in FL as a repro. I
do not however know what year these were available in the 70s for the 71-74
AMX. So for a couple dollars, AMC could have rectified the problem with the
77-78 spoiler, however maybe AMC sold so few they didn't consider it a
problem, I do not know, and there is a good, no, better than average
possibility that since AMC was bleeding cash, they simply did not have money
to make a small part for a small number production car. Remember......AMC
entered negotiations with...hold your breath....
RENAULT in 1978......

Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825