Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: 78 Concord AMX & more

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: 78 Concord AMX & more

Eddie the rear bumper is the same as a 74-77 Hornet/Gremlin. The front
bumper is a 1 year only painted steel bumper. In 79 AMC went to them
horrible aluminum bumpers which will fit a 78. I put a set of 79 bumpers
on my friends 78 sedan. His rear rust free 78 bumper and inner support
is going to replace the rotted one on my yellow 74 Hornet.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- Good buy on a rare car, hell, I wished I would have seen it. When you are
talking about "AMX specific" items, those can not only be hard to find but
expensive if found. I paid $350 for a complete set of flairs for a 77 AMX,
however a air dam alone for the 77-78 can set you back most of that price.
The fender flairs are unique to that one model year only. The bumpers will
interchange with several other models however and impressive is that the
wire mesh grill and louvers are intact; along with rally pack and tach.
Those items mentioned above are usually the first to go.

Somewhere in here I believe I have a set of flairs, less dam:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/amc_sheet_metal_special.htm
for sale. I believe aJ at South Texas AMC also had a set, I believe he also
has a grill for sale for $250 too. Not sure if he sold it or not. He is
listed on my vendors list.

What color was this car originally....it appears some sort of orange on the
pillars. The Targa is black, which makes me think the car might have once
been black. You can check your metal trim door paint tag on my website here:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/amc_production_figures_decodes.htm

He did have a number of questions about the vehicle which shows why it's
usually best to give as much infomation in the descriptions as one knows
about the vehicle.

One thing I wish to add here is that it seems a majority of people who
ordered a 77, 78, 79-80 AMX opted out of the big hood decals, the people I
remember having them new used words like gaudy. Hell, it was the 1970s, duh.
This is a pre production 77 Hornet AMX press photo taken in May 1976:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/parts%20&%20Literature/77_amx_pr.jpg
Note sans flaming bee on hood. Also note several other interesting changes
that never saw production like on the back panel near driver side tailight
the (((AMX decal. Here is that 78 AMX press photo of a black car, my
mistake, the Targa was GOLD, not black as mentioned above, this was one of
several oddities AMC did to the black cars; the black ones also had gold
rims. Bling! This one is shown with the 'flamin bee' on the hood, same as
77.
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/parts%20&%20Literature/78_AMX_PR.jpg

The 79-80 you could opt for a big 'flaming fireball'
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/parts%20&%20Literature/79_amx_pr.jpg
and like several others, there was a 'opt out' box one would check on the
dealer order form for this feature. Backing up to 77, you could also get a
bee on the trunk:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/ebay_stuff_323.jpg
is one I have for sale right now. $100 & NOS.

Funny thing, Doc builds models, and if one goes to some hobby stores, there
is a model decal kit with same design, and Hornet letters. About $2.50 for
the whole decal kit. I am not sure whether it is for car models or airplane
models, but I commonly see them at Hobby Lobby.

This is the 80 AMX. It's one of two AMXs I have never owned, the other is a
78.
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/parts%20&%20Literature/80_AMX_PR.JPG
These, along with Pacer, were axed early in the model year by AMC due to
dismal sales, only 865 made and abuot 408 Pacers made......although there
were some Pacers (80) passed off as 1981 models. 111 to be exact and there
is a lady here with one I have been up her ass since 1985 to buy it, not
sure why she lives in a $350K house and has a damned Rambler. Have fun with
your 78 regardless of what you do, it is a neat piece of AMC and US
automotive history.

Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825