Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Jerry's Gremlin Garage II ....goin' thedistanc

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Jerry's Gremlin Garage II ....goin' thedistance ( 3 hours )

Man that's a long ride. You better put a bed and a small fridge and a
barbeque grill there and make it weekend trips. A 6-8 hour round trip is
way to much for one day. Are you going to have any AMC's at your house
or just at the 3 hour away garage? Did you ever get the new springs in
the Pacer? That deal you mentioned about a bunch of people going in on a
place is fine but money and reliable people you can trust to go in on a
deal like that are hard to find. Once you get a place you have to figure
on yearly taxes and building maintenance and monthly electric and winter
heat and water costs. You may have done the right thing doing this by
yourself as there will be no surprises. Good luck.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, AMC74HORNET@xxxx wrote:
> It's nice to have a shop to store your cars and parts in. How far did
> you say it was from where you live?
> "Doc"

The building is about 160 miles from my home. With no slow-downs, I
can get there in 3 hours, 4 if I have to fill up a thirsty vehicle.
LOL. Usually 3, though. Considering the alternatives ( Pay $300,000 or
more for a local commercial building the same size ), I think I'll
drive 3 hours each way occasionally to tinker with my spare hobby
cars. I can afford $18,000, and will put up with the long-distance
hassle. People think I'm nuts, but heck, you can't even afford to
BUILD a 5-car shop like this around Wash. DC area for 18k! No way!
Just for the shop and back lot alone, I thought it was a worthwhile
investment. It'll still be a long-distance relationship with my cars
and parts, but at least I won't have them on someone ELSE's property,
and down where there's no power. I"ll have power, enclosed shelter,
and loads of sq. ft. to putter around in ( for now, anyway ).
  Another thing I'd tried to do, Doc, was to get 4-5 guys interested
in buying a local commercial building big enough for 4-5 guys and
their cars. Heard of a car club in Minnesota that did that, they had
100 guys, HUGE warehouse building, and the waiting list to get into
that club ( limit 100 guys, only death and moving away got them to
drop out ) made it a desireable club to belong to. Lets see - 100
guys, at $1,000 each, is 100,000...lets say New York, ok, maybe $5,000
each for a $500,000 place.  One time outlay, then upkeep, etc.
WOrthwhile? maybe. Depends on the location/buildings available/guys in
the club. But I only got a few local guys interested here, and a few
moved away, and the rest are still broke. But it's still a good
concept, you can build your own security cage inside the building to
store your cars and tools,etc.
  Takes alot to get that many people motivated to do it. If one or a
few could do it, then "sell" the other spots later, would probably be
easier, but also requires those "few" to have the money to do it. I
think it'd be a great thing to do, but it always comes back to that
green stuff. Still, something to keep in mind...
  Well, still gotta get that fence built, then get a mason to cut the
garage doorway and install a door. So those are the next priorities.
I'll be trying to hunt down some Fencers to do the work soon as
possible. May go do it myself, if all else fails.

- Jerry -

--- End Message ---