RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Hey John Did You Fix Your Hornet?

RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Hey John Did You Fix Your Hornet?

Glad it was somthing simple. Some times the obvious stares you in the
face and you cannot see it. Been there done that more than once myself.
"Doc"

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2xaSZB/SOnJAA/Y3ZIAA/YtqqlB/TM

--- Begin Message --- Doc,

As a matter of fact, I only got to toy with it
Sunday AM finally. After a few minutes of staring
into the engine compartment, a sudden wave of
logic came over me...and it became clear that
the trouble HAD to be related to the ignition
switch.

If you recall, it would crank and fire with the
key in the 'start' position, but would immediately
die when the key returned to the 'run' position.
So we ran a jumper wire from the battery to the
(+) side of the coil, and tried again...and now
the car stayed running.

So, to find the exact location of the ignition
switch, I referred to the TSM. Turns out it is on
the right side of the column, above the dash shelf.
That's when I remembered that the car wouldn't start
after I stopped that Friday morning for a drink
*AND* to reconnect the speedometer cable that had
been left unconnected since the gauge assembly swap.
My arm had been crammed under that dash to connect
the cable...and that turned out to have been the cause.

We pulled the lower colum cover to see the switch
better and found one of the wires had been pulled out
of the switch forcibly. We tucked the end of it back in,
Shoved it deeped with an awl, then turned the key...and
she fired right up.

That one goes on the scoreborad under the 'duh' heading.

Thanks to all that replied to the original post. Happily,
No $$ was needed for this fix afterall.

We immediately took the car out for a short ride as it
Was a perfect mid-70s morning with no clouds and light
traffic. My mommie-in-law went along and we cruised the
neighborhood for 15 minutes, turning just a few heads...
mainly for the noice level of the exhaust leak at the
driver's exhaust manifold, I think. With the windows
rolled down, it's way more than jusy an irk- it's full-on
annoying. Hopefully, I can get that taken care of real soon.

John