Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Hornet Hatchbacks & Granny's old BathTub Rambl

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Hornet Hatchbacks & Granny's old BathTub Rambler's

Thanks for the kind words Davis. The yellow car has the whole front end
rebuilt and the disc brakes installed last summer. The roll cage was a 6
point from S&W Race Cars for a Hornet coupe and I re-designed it into a
12 point for the hatchback that is tied into the sub frame connectors. I
ran the local Sears store out of stones for my Dremil smoothing out the
welds on the cage. The car already has a new V8 radiator and a Hurst
V-Matic shifter. I have a V8 cross member and engine plates. The
interior needs the 2 bucket seats re-upholstered and front carpet made
and it is done. I basically need the V8 drive train which is a basic
bolt in. I have a good not rusted out rear bumper from a 78 Concord and
a good front bumper I got from Davis that needs a minor repair. I have 2
NOS front fenders and maybe will get a better hatch from John Rosa. The
only rust is in the front of the rockers. I got side tracked for 1 1/2
years when my long time friend sold his shop and retired and had no
place to work on the car. Then for another 1 1/2 years I been working on
my orange Hornet. That should be finished by this coming fall with the
new interior, paint touched up and a 77 Hornet AMX rear louver and
flairs installed. I am still looking for a bumper shop to have the
bumpers for both cars chrome'd. Since I have found a new shop and made a
new friend that lets me work on my car there I can once again make
progress. I pay him to do the work I am no longer able to do. The orange
car has been there since the middle of Feb. Since money is no longer a
problem I am hoping to get the V8 conversion done this winter. A 360 or
a 401 with a 727 and a 9" Pford rear. With maybe a Gear Venders
Overdrive.
"Doc"

'Thanks & Giving.'

--- Begin Message ---

amc74hornet <AMC74HORNET@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, baadass73gremlin@xxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 4/20/05 5:35:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> AMC74HORNET@xxxx writes:
>
> The Kermit the Frog Hatchback looks nice but I'll pass. I got more
> chassis mods in my yellow car that just needs the V8 drive train. No
> rust and just needs a paint job.
> No mention of anything like subframe connectors or anything like that
> and a 6 point cage. Mine is a 12 point designed by me and tied into the
> subframe connectors for a Hatchback. Probably next winters project the
> V8 conversion. John's granny 360 Hatch would probably kick most ricers
> asses as is. I am not a restorer but that is one car I would keep stock.
> As far as the three 59-60 Americans keep them. Good luck to the guy
> trying get 10,000$ for one. The one that said it was in storage with the
> grass growing up around it in th e field is a joke. As for Hi/Po versus
> stock, at 2.29 per gallon for regular my orange daily driver 258-6 cyl-1
> bbl will be just fine. The yellow car with the V8 will be just for fun.
> I got the best of both worlds with these two cars.
> "Doc"
>

> So Doc,what color will you paint your yellow one?and what kind of rims are
> you gonna use?i hope good ole big N lils you know to complete that street
> machine look
> Bart

This will be te third time I will paint it not counting the factory paint job. It will be the stock color it rolled off the line with Mellow Yellow. As for wheels I am leaning to Torque Thrust D's. That big and little tire thing dosen't get it for me as I am a hard fast driver. Image on tire and wheel size would end up killing me and wreck the car in that order the first time I leaned into a corner at 50 + mph. I am not up on the metric tire sizes but the rear's are equal to E-60-14's and the fronts 2 sizes smaller for sway bar and fender clearance, but still quite wide. It is the tire size combo that is on both Hornet's right now. The yellow car has had this combo on it for 3 years and it handle's and drive real nice so I did it on the orange car. I am a person of habit, the new interior going into the orange car is a milder 4 pass version of the one in the yellow car which is now a 2 seater with the 12 point roll cage.
"Doc"

AND boy is that one sweet lookin interior!  That roll cage is smooth. Once painted and that noisy 6 bager is swapped for the aformentioned 360 that's gonna be a really sweet ride!

 Davis

Give the gift of life to a sick child.