[BaadAssGremlins] Re: AMC THEFT in Jersey

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: AMC THEFT in Jersey

Title: Message
John wrote:

"Anyone that wishes to tempt them with their own car can leave it on the lawn."

Here is my front yard in the fourth largest city in the United States:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/sc360_rspoiler_2.JPG

And where I used to live in beautiful 'gang gardens' apartments:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/Photo_Gallery_AMX/images/replmycars_jpg.jpg

Across the street:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/Photo_Gallery_My/images/notaparade_jpg.jpg

And same street:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/Photo_Gallery_My/images/mycollection_jpg.jpg

And the apartments:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/Photo_Gallery_My/images/68american199-6_jpg.jpg

That is some level of high dollar AMC iron. Left on the street. Houston, Texas. Five hours from the Mexican border, if crossed, most would never be seen again. Many of these above are concourse level, cars that have/had amassed walls of trophies at the five star ISCA Astrodome Autorama (see photo galleries for tons more photos) and AMC Regionals!

No alarms. No garage. No clubs. No anti theft except me forgetting to put a battery in the car or disconnecting the wire on the solenoid!

I don't know if New Jersey has a higher auto theft rate than Texas. Nor do I know what town/city the alleged incident in NJ took place, or what comparisons are to Houston's auto theft rate.

I would have to politely disagree that the point IS where the info came from, and why wasn't a police report filed? Along with other points that simply don't add up. If someone is crusing around in a stolen car, the person whose car was targeted (and the neighbor mentioned) would have the license plate number for police. Stolen or not, both are witnesses! And a report should have been filed immediately. Was it? We don't know, if not, then the whole alarmist story loses credability.

And no, not concentrating on the wrong part of warning. If there was a crime committed, you would need evidence. The burden of proof rests solely on the person making the accusations. I am not doubting their story, but I however find it difficult to believe.

A AMC anything stolen would stick out like a sore thumb, even if a attempt was made to take it into Mexico. Chances are, Canada too. The reason I wrote the repoman side of the story is that yes, there are some idiots out there. Yes, there are some weirdo AMCers out there too. And as pointed out in my previous post on this subject, there are a lot of similiarities between what repo men do legally and what theives do illegally. We can learn from both sadly. And take precautions on our property as we see fit.

In this case however, the police were called. The license plate came up stolen. What happened after that? Did the neighbor go to the local precinct and file a report on what she had seen? Did the owner of the AMC do same? Did the police even believe a crime had been committed even though they were called to same residence two days straight? Anyone dust for fingerprints?

No one has addressed either at this point if this vehicle did indeed get stolen. It would be like a damned Picasso. Hard to sell with everyone looking at it. AMCers are a smaller tight knit group, sort of like in the art world for instance. Granted, valuable art pieces are stolen and never seen again,
http://www.saztv.com/page103.html
but we are talking million dollar art pieces, some hundreds of years old, as opposed to a Rambler or American Motors car; not much of comparison; except if stolen, people would know that it is stolen, that is unless it is funneled to private collection, but at some point, the art would resurface. Same with car.

A point was made by Terry on Bart's group that 'I would go for a Vette or something common' this is what police would tell you too, if you are going to steal something, steal something that don't stand out like a sore thumb: (From Lo-Jack)
http://www.lojack.com/top-ten-stolen-car-list.html

No, I don't think there is a ring of AMC theives out there. If there was, don't you think for one moment it would be blistered all over the national AMC club rags front pages to be on alert for al-queda AMC theives? And it would also be all over other auto rags too. But the accusations would have to be proven before they would print it, backed up by police reports at the least! I could tell you a UFO landed in the farmland behind my house and stole my Bricklin. But I guarantee you there would be witnesses, all over news and paper, and of course, documented proof that something did happen, not word of mouth. Again, I am not doubting something happened with someone showing up. I just have serious doubts on what actually transpired, especially when it comes to the owner and neighbor not(?) filing police report or even dusting for fingerprints on the garage!

So while everyone should take precautions, of any of their property, cars, house, land, beer, I just have trouble with a number of holes in this whole story, that is all......
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
www.planethoustonamx.com
PS: used to read Dick Tracy and watch Adam 12 a lot too.