[BaadAssGremlins] Re: AMC THEFT in Jersey

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: AMC THEFT in Jersey

I posted this on the amcforum.net under same thread, might be worth reading here on Bart's site also.

A few comments here.  I can't recall the last time someone stole a AMC anything, except in the early 80s my dad's 76 Pacer was stolen by homeless people in front of their house in Corpus Christi, and never recovered, not that the CCPD went looking for it either. Chances are the crooks were interested in money, or valuables in the home and were casing it for future whatever. If the police were called over this incident, and then the alleged theives returned the next day according to neighbor, then the police are not doing their job. Again, it appears to me that they are after something else besides a old Rambler.

Why would the car owner "believe" these guys story to begin with that "had stolen licence plates?" Didn't the car owner have a cell phone with camera to take these people's photos? Knowing you have them on file (or your neighbor, or anyone else in vicinity) would be a huge deterrent if they wanted to steal anything from your property! Did the neighbor call 911? Breaking and entering is a felony, and police have a under 5 minute response time for that! So there is a lot here that don't simply add up. It is good that the neighbor called police, but she should have not told these people she was and shuold have called 911 silently. Once police arrive they have to show ID or drivers license, and a check is run on the car plates! If car is stolen or plates ficticious as mentioned in letter above, people are busted! Hell, they would be busted in a whole variety of ways just judging by the initial letter posted.

Go over to a search engine like http://www.google.com and punch in YOUR name. Hell, punch in MY name. This is what shows up under my name:
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,350,000 for eddie stakes. (0.26 seconds)

Kirkwood, with all due respect, that law don't mean squat. A cop will tell you if someone wants something bad enough, they will eventually find a way to get it.

I have done reprosession work here in Houston. It is not a easy, nor glamourous job. But think about this for a moment. It does not matter what your car is. Could be a SUV, Lexus, or many other cars well worth more than a old AMC "anything". Banks are more than happy to furnish everything they know about you to get their 'investment' back. So now I know your your name, address, work, boss name, cat's name, when you are home, when you are not, your social security number, all your credit records, I now know it all because you missed a payment or two! (I know we are talking about a paid off AMC here, but follow me on this from the repo man angle.)

So I legally stalk you until I get that vehicle back and the law is on my side, I'm basically a bounty hunter. I have reached in a car full of people at a drive thru McDonald's (holding a badge, snaring the keys from the ignition); I have hooked up a vehicle in front of the owner's business in full view of her clients; and also taken cars out of garages. It takes me 12 seconds to get your car and I'm gone. The next few minutes are on the hotline to Houston Police letting them know I have accomplished a legal reposession.

Which brings me to this AMC in New Jersey. Your car. Any car. Anywhere. You obviously have a license plate on it, which you must drive to and from wherever on your state's highways and roads. If.....I see your car at a cruise night, swap meet, auto show, and I think I might want to steal it later, I have all the information I need to find you easily by your license plate. Bonus if I even bothered to write down the VIN of the vehicle. So basically for theives, your car/truck, any car or truck, is window shopping when it is not in your garage and is on the street. This is something big city cops will tell you, and have for years. Don't bring you Hemi Cuda out much? Who cares, I saw it in Hot Rod 3 years ago. I saw and photographed your Rebel Machine at the Albany meet you were at.

Ignition kill switch? Alarm? Club? Give me a break, there is not one anti theft device out there foolproof. Especially to a repo man, but even more so to a determined thief. Yes, I know, some have the house surrounded by pit bulls, and are armed to the teeth with uzis. That is nice Mr. The Game, all it takes is a nanosecond for the theif (gee, or repo man) to strike. And you can't be at home 24 hours a day, 7 days a week now can you? And dogs like those pigs ears you know, some of them laced with sleeping pills. Good doggie, wake up in a few hours.

And yes, many of us carry guns in Texas legally. And yes, we are the Death Penalty Capital of the US in Harris County here. We don't like crime and well, the prosecutors, and juries are tough on criminals to commit it.
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Prison_System/Houston_deathpenalty.html

It STILL don't deter people.
http://www.tavti.org/reg2news.html
Look at the numbers, then look at the over 200,000 cars here:
http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=3088

So hopefully you will realize that these people, whoever they are, were not after a old AMC. Furthermore, if they were serious, it would already be gone. The owner might have visited Cecil County meet, Albany, Nationals in CT in 2000; ect, and they have photos of
your car. I have photos of over 3000 cars, and guess what, 99% of them have the license plate attached to them at the dragstrip, or car show, or auction.

Furthermore, I have spent the last 20 years looking at AMCs at national and regional meets, not only taking photos, but also writing down the VINs, and in many cases, the door tag info. Some people have walked up to me asking what I was doing, I introduce myself, shake hands and not ONE in over 20 years.....has said 'please don't document my car, or don't write down my numbers'. I'm sure they know I ain't even remotely interested in stealing their car, just documenting survivors! OTHERS RESULTS MAY VARY.

With the advent of internet, there is more information out there than many people realize. So you get a name and look it up, or other info, then go to a website like switchboard.com (this is what bail bondsmen do) then go to mapquest.com and you have red carpet to one's door.

I didn't like being a repo man even though the money was great. I simply like dealing with people on a friendly basis, and this is why I quit and stayed in the Houston bar/restaurant business after a 1/4 century. But the ways and means mentioned above is not intended to scare you. Maybe it should. Repo men and bounty hunters commonly 'get around' the laws. I did.  Repeatedly. And it was some damned good money.

What bothers me most is while something obviously happened, the car owner 'believed' these characters who had a ficticiuos license plate/and or car stolen. The ficticious license plate is a crime punishable by up to 2 years and $4000 fine in Texas; and a stolen car is felony, so yougo to pen. But regardless of that, these people could have told the car owner they got the info from John Paul II instead off website somewhere.

I hope in no way anyone is offended by what I said above. It is just my own experience in one year of reposessing people's property that I learned all this. And as mentioned, I didn't like that job and quit. However, everyone is different, and again, everyone  needs to please keep in mind some of these unscruplous assholes out there in the world are only waiting for a chance to rip someone off, waiting for that little window. You simply always must have your guard up sadly, whether driving in traffic, anti virus protection on computer, whatever!

I hope that this incident won't discourage anyone from showing any of your vehicles, or enjoying them in the future however either. Whether lessons learned from 9/11 or daily, the bad guys should not ever win.
Eddie Stakes' Planet Houston AMX