RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Coupe or Sedan?

RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Coupe or Sedan?

No arguing here...just curious if there was ever a 'firm'
criteria to make them, since the Feds and DMV often have
to mark their documentation with such specs. New Jersey
Uses the slightly-more-precise '2DR' and '4DR', bypassing
the whole issue by simply counting doors (which raises
other oddballs like hatchbacks that are sometimes referred
to as '3-doors', and those goofy Saturn 3-door 'coupes'...
or whatever!).

<And now, a side trip...>
[Everyone recall the Pacer having a longer passenger side
door to make letting kids in and out on the CURB SIDE easier
and safer?? Now, recall the Saturn commercials introducing
the 3-door coupe a few years ago? They pushed the kiddie-
entry-and-exit convenience, too...but note that they showed
this happening always in a DRIVEWAY. Why? Cuz the idiots put
the extra door on the STREET-SIDE. Duh. Guess they assume we
all have a driveway and never park at the curb.]

<...and back on track...>
My own tweak is using the rear-half's styling as a tie-
breaker of sorts. If the rear window to trunk/hatchlid
'line' (viewed from the side) is indistinguishable (no
abrupt fold or crease between them, forming any variation
of a 'notch') *AND* it's got two side doors...it's a coupe.
If any form of notchback styling is evident, it's a sedan,
regardless of the number of doors.

Using only AMCs for this example, this would then give us:
68-74 Javelin and AMX: coupe.
Rogue: sedan
Rebel: sedan
71-73 Matador 2 and 4 door: sedan
74-78 4-door: sedan
74-78 2-door: coupe
Hornet hatchback: coupe
Hornet 2 and 4 door notchback: sedan
Gremlin: coupe
Pacer hatchback: coupe

These seem to me better applications of the terms. 'Coupe'
just suggests to me a more slippery/sporty shape, and fast-
backs suggest it best (to me).

John