[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Barts Rig; 4 second Gremlins & Atlanta 2005

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Barts Rig; 4 second Gremlins & Atlanta 2005

Funny thing these fast Gremlins. At a AMC National many years ago in the early 1990s, a slew of us AMCers got together at a place in Kenosha called Brewmasters, after the AMO Banquet.
And needless to say, someone would drive by and seen a dozen or more AMCs in the parking lot and would stop, and the next thing there was a nice friendly crowd inside having homemade brew and pub food, really nice place too. So since it was late, the place closed and everyone headed outside, many not willing to say goodbye for who knows how long, if ever see them again, as some would be at the NAMDRA Nationals ht enext day, but others were headed home, wherever that may be, as they had only come for the Thurs-Sat AMO/AMCRC/NAMDRA
gig. And Sunday is a travel day, at least for me it always has been, wished that was different.

So in the parking lot you have well over 25 AMCers who have had a beer or two, others had coolers in their trunk too. What is funny is as the hours melted away, the timeslips got smaller, and everyone had a 4 second Gremlin.

But no one had remember to BRING it for the next day's races. Hmmmm......

Great group of people and this to me at least, is what the hobby is all about, not the cars but the people involved. Hope to see some of ya'll in Atlanta, Paige & me and kids are making plans to be there, so hopefully we will get to go to this one. They are expecting over 200 cars I understand. Suggestion? Make sure your camera has lots of film and bateries for photos. Bring money for parts and literature you will NOT find anywheres else. Make up a shopping list, in order of priority, of shit you need for your AMC(s) so you can have it handy at the meet. Go to many of the functions.

One of the neatest things is it go to the banquet. Many times there is a Guest Speaker. sometimes it is a legend, like Chakmanian(sic) a few years ago. He was on the design team (yes, AMC Skunkworks) who helped design the 71 AMX body, and at the banquet, you had 350+ people shoved into the Italian American Hall in Kenosha. It had been rowdy and loud, especially from those drunks we were sitting next to, Ohio guys. Good guys, but can't handle their booz like us alkie Texans either.

When Carl started talking, and showing a slide presentation of photos NO ONE HAS EVER SEEN BEFORE, you could have heard a pin drop. No one got up to pee. No one moved. No one cell phone. Nothing. He had everyone's attention for 30 minutes. It is a STUNNING presentation. And something I would pay for again to see. I feel sorry for those who skipped this for whatever reason, whether too cheap to pay the $22 banquet fee (food was great) or could not get in simply due to capacity. You missed a once in a lifetime opportunity as he probably wont speak again, many of these fellows like him, Conde, the fellow that named the Javelin and so on, these are people that were THERE. And they are slowly passing away so hopefully much can be learned from those that remain. Anyways, if you get a chance to go to the banquet it is a lot of fun, especially if a guest speaker, and the slide show is fun too, and always great to see who wins the Americas Cup/Best of Show......
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx