ultra rare hornet

Hey guys and gals, here is something you will never see.....a authentic
GUCCI Hornet Sportabout wagon WITH FACTORY 360V8. I know John Rosa is
drooling, as I just heard the burrito juice hit the monitor.
I had written to this fellow awhile back, as he asked me how many were made
and I had written a article in the ealry 90s about these rare cars, and told
him his 360/Gucci wagon was one of possibly 100-140 made if that, and one of
maybe, just maybe 2-5 left in existence. That is with 360/Gucci package. If
you ever, EVER, go to any of the national or regional meets, take a extra
moment to look and inspect any AMC "Designer" car there, from the Gucci
Hornets, to the Cardin Javelins to the Cassini Matadors and Levi Hornets.
Each one is really a work of 'art'. So I hope this photo comes thru ok,
check out the vintage car lot in the background if you can get past looking
at this wonderful Hornet!
Eddie Stakes
www.planethoustonamx.com
-------

Yeah, the car is an authentic '73 Gucci Hornet X 360 wagon... It was
special ordered by my dad with the 360 (he wanted a 401), Gucci package, and
radio delete...
He deleted the radio because he wasn't willing to pay the inflated price for
an AM/FM stereo... He figured he could install an aftermarket stereo for
less than half the price of the factory option...
(I seem to recall him telling me that the stereo was worth more than the V8
option!!

The purists would hate the car, because he added all kinds of stuff over the
years to suit his taste...
Dual exhaust... Trailer hitch... CB radio...
He's quite the electronics whiz, so he added all kinds of gauges (monitoring
everything from the standard oil press and amps to tranny temp and tailpipe
temp), he built his own electronic ignition conversion and automatic
high-beam dimmer... His own digital tach...
And all kinds of stuff I can't even remember....
Kinda neat actually, 'cause it's all '70s era technology!!

Problem is... Some of that stuff would leave holes in the interior and body
if removed....
Especially the CB antenna (on the roof) and hand-made brass 360 emblems he
made for the front fenders... He liked the look of the Chevy's with their
displacement emblems on the front fenders, so he made his own out of brass
to match the gold colored Gucci emblems....

Quite the handy guy, my dad!!!

The car is no longer in the family, but is owned by a friend of mine...

Here's one of them... Scanned from an old negative...
Taken shortly after he took delivery of the car, but apparently after he'd
installed the aftermarket radio antenna!

If ya ever manage to find your old numbers about how many were built, please
let me know!

Cheers!
Mac.

JPEG image