Re: Found a 70 Matador with 304

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Eddie Stakes"
<eddiestakes@xxxx> wrote:
> Finding a good running AMC these adays is a real challenge. Less
and less
> exist. On the Matador you found, there will be a number of items
that you
> will be abele to sell if you part it out also, such as the
windshield,
> windshield chrome, trunk lid, rear glass & chrome all interchange
with a
> Rebel Machine. If in good shape you should be able to fetch $10+
for the
> trunk lid, $200+ for the windshield, $20+ for the chrome, and if
nice, the
> rear bumper you can name your price, as cores command over $100,
and ones
> straightened and rechromed are $350 + core charge. A number of
interior
> parts will also interchange with Rebel Machine which is why I m
> model. That is your 'high water mark' vehicle, and most desirable
for the
> parts. So that is where you focus your parts to sell, as if you
say you have
> a Matador trunk lid, you will have it sitting at your place thru
Y3K and not
> sell it, same with the other items, including many dash items.
>
> The trans may be hard to find parts for if you ever need a
rebuild, for
> instance as simple as it is, no one stocks a trans pan gasket for
it. Get
> used to this as more and more companies quit making some of the
items we may
> need for cars that few exist, whether Moog, TRW, Wagner, whoever.
>
> I commonly joke with AMCers who call that AMC owners are like
Cubans. The
> Cubans are wonderful people who love their old cars and are very
resilient
> and resourceful when it comes to keeping them not only looking
good since
> the 60s, but running good, regardless of what is under the hood
from a
> Soviet Lada engine or lawnmower engine in their 56 Chevy for
instance. AMC
> people are the same way and find a way to the means to keep their
cars
> looking and running great. As for that trans pan gasket? I simply
went to
> Home Depot and bought a roll of cork, and cut my own gasket for
that old 71
> Javelin 304/AT, worked great never had a problem with it
afterwards.

<blue77gremlin@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > Hey guys I found a 70 Matador 4 door with 50k and a 304 with
auto.
> > The body is in bad shape but the owner said the motor is real
good.
> > I was wondering if this motor and trans would swap easy in a
> > gremlin. Anyone know the horsepower rating for the 70 and 71
> > matadors? This car can probably be bought dirt cheap. Thanks for
> > any info. SCOTT
>
> I agree with Eddie, a 70 was still a Rebel although a Matador was
just a
> slightly re-sknned Rebel except for the Matador coupe. The only
thing bad
> about the deal is if there is one of those Aluminum Warners behind
the 304.
> That was the trans they used behind the 6 cyl's and small V8's. It
was
> marginal at best behind a 6 cyl. never mind a V8. There are
adapters made to
> mount a later torqueflite to the Warnner equipt. engines. It it is
cheap I
> would still go for it.
> "Doc"
>
> This Matador probably was a 71. I llok at so many sifferent cars
I can't always keep track. I was thinking along the same lines as
you Eddie - about the parts. Does the 4door and 2 door share the
same windshield?
If I have a 6cyl Gremlin and use this Matador with 304 to
convert it to v8 Gremlin, what else would I need besides a v8
crossmember? Will the motor mounts off the Matador work?
THANKS
SCOTT