Re: Found a 70 Matador with 304

Finding a good running AMC these adays is a real challenge. Less and less
exist. On the Matador you found, there will be a number of items that you
will be abele to sell if you part it out also, such as the windshield,
windshield chrome, trunk lid, rear glass & chrome all interchange with a
Rebel Machine. If in good shape you should be able to fetch $10+ for the
trunk lid, $200+ for the windshield, $20+ for the chrome, and if nice, the
rear bumper you can name your price, as cores command over $100, and ones
straightened and rechromed are $350 + core charge. A number of interior
parts will also interchange with Rebel Machine which is why I mention that
model. That is your 'high water mark' vehicle, and most desirable for the
parts. So that is where you focus your parts to sell, as if you say you have
a Matador trunk lid, you will have it sitting at your place thru Y3K and not
sell it, same with the other items, including many dash items.

The trans may be hard to find parts for if you ever need a rebuild, for
instance as simple as it is, no one stocks a trans pan gasket for it. Get
used to this as more and more companies quit making some of the items we may
need for cars that few exist, whether Moog, TRW, Wagner, whoever.

I commonly joke with AMCers who call that AMC owners are like Cubans. The
Cubans are wonderful people who love their old cars and are very resilient
and resourceful when it comes to keeping them not only looking good since
the 60s, but running good, regardless of what is under the hood from a
Soviet Lada engine or lawnmower engine in their 56 Chevy for instance. AMC
people are the same way and find a way to the means to keep their cars
looking and running great. As for that trans pan gasket? I simply went to
Home Depot and bought a roll of cork, and cut my own gasket for that old 71
Javelin 304/AT, worked great never had a problem with it afterwards.
Eddie Stakes
www.planethoustonamx.com
*Note volume of email is
extremely heavy, expect