Re: [BaadAssGremlins] gas tank

In a message dated 5/25/2004 6:47:54 PM Central Daylight Time, KNSREP@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
maybe you could make up a simple blue print of the tank so
anyone else who wants to make one could save some time. I would be
interested in the info.
If I had soft ware to do so, I would be glad to provide a blueprint. However, the tank I put together will only fit my Gremlin though. Since a sub-frame was fabricated and installed to accommodate a 9" rear end and ladder bars, using a stock fuel tank was out of the question.

I started by constructing a cardboard mockup then tried to find ashop to build it for me. Unfortunately, everyone I talked to said their liability insurance would not allow them to build a fuel tank.

The tank itself has three components, The two side panels and then the main body. A sheet metal shop cut the side panels using a pattern I provided. The main body is a single piece about 6 feet long an 21 inches wide. This piece was put into a metal brake and had a 1/2" lip bent along each on the long sides.

After I got the pieces home, I cut notches into the lips where I wanted the bend the sheet metal to form the shape of the tank. Once it was bent, I used self-tapping screws to hold the sides on. The photo I put in my folder on the BAG web site shows the tank after it was put together with the screws.

I have since welded a filler neck and sending unit mounting plate ontothe tank. My next step will be welding the sides and filling the screw holes. If it would help you, before I do the welding, I'll remove the screws and take a couple of photos to show the components.

Rick