Re: Package Tray Clean Up An Paint

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "amc74hornet" <AMC74HORNET@xxxx> wrote:
> I am getting down to the last 2 parts of the dash repair/replacement job. The A/C package tray is riveted together with 4 rivets, 2 of them are pulled through and all the foam insualaion and gaskets are crumbling to dust. I drilled out the 2 remaining rivets and claened the main portion of the package tray up with windex and then prep-sol and hopefully today I will start to paint it. First I will pop rivet a small pice of aluminum on each end flange where it has 2 screws that mount it to the kick panels, this area has a habbit of cracking and the aluminum prevents this also it lets you make the screws tighter and prevents rattles nd squeeks in the dash when it is completely assembled. We all know how these plastic dashes tend to rattle and squeek and old plastic crack, so this helps. I did this to the Spirit package tray I used in the yellow Hornet when I rebuilt that dash a few years ago.
> "Doc"

Instead of riveting the aluminum backing to the package tray flanges I decided to try and use JB Weld. I saw someone on the AMX Files use it on plastic. It seems to be made of hard plastic so it should hold. The problem is the JB Weld has to dry over night to completely cure, so I will have to wait till tomorrow to start painting the package tray. I also have to find some foam material to make a new gasket to seal the A/C ducts to the package tray. I'll have to check out the local hardware store. I think that's where I got some when I did the other cars interior 3-4 years ago. Life's a bitch when you get old ad can't remember things.
"Doc"