Re: th400 into my 74. help????

to clear it up on this board...the Jeep TH-400 is an AMC case w/ the
GM guts...just like what they did w/ the torqueflights...

you need the short tail shaft and housing out of ANY make TH-400 and
swap it over...now would be a good time to rebuild the trans...

the speedo...jeeps do have them in the t-case...tho the trans case
does have the impressions of where the speedo driven gear housing
would go...almost looks like it has a plug in it...but it is the
actual casting and would have to be machined to be able to run a
speedo...also if you do plan to get it machined...you need to make
sure that you get the right drive gear on the output shaft so you can
have the right selection of driven gears to make your speedo right
for your current setup (rear ratio and tire size)...also plan ahead
here so if you decide you might change ratios or tire sizes...

my car I'm using a 15/41 (15 drive gear and 41 driven) also using the
speedo cable from my 904 on it...dunno if its gonna turn out bad or
not cause I just got it finished yesterday...tho the speedo does work
and appear to be correct...

and if anyone is interested...Coan Engineering built my trans...