Extreme Measures Taken To Remove Warpage From Plastic Part

Extreme Measures Taken To Remove Warpage From Plastic Part

While repairing the cracks in the upper windshield molding where it attaches to the headliner molding I decided to try somthing new and drastic to remove the warpage. I glued the cracks up after my usual preporation and clamped the piece so it was straight. I then got out my small propane torch and with the flame at it's very lowest setting I warmed it up very carefully. And it worked, when it cooled the warpage was 98% gone. After that I used my electric engraveing tool to simulate the vinal grain appearance in the areas I repaired with glue. When the weather clears this afternoon I'll give it a coat of SEM and see how it looks.
Needless to say you have to be extremely careful if you use this method.
"Doc"