Good and Bad day

Was planning on getting my Gremlinout but temp was in the 50's and rain. Did pour some gas in it. Yea my boys did relieve me of the gas over the winter as the gas gauge moved when I put the gas in it. I got him started but did he run rough. Had a knock in itwhen he first started it up. Didn't really sound like a lifter but it could have been it quit knocking after a while but never did run smooth out. Had lots of black smoke at first then changed to white. I am hoping it is just the bottom of the gas tank. I put less than a gallon in him.  Need to get him down to the corner so I fell him up with fresh gas. They last time I drove him was in October took him on about a 50 mile round trip and he was running pretty good. Just goes to show you might as well drive them. I sure hope there is nothing major wrong with him.
Terry