Re: Spring Ahead (the formula)

Thanks Rick! I just found the following formula regarding spring
compression:

The spring constant (stiffness) of a coil spring equals:
k = compression / force = D^4 * G / (64*N*R^3)
where D is the wire diameter, G an elastic material property, N the
number of coils in the spring, and R the radius of the spring.

Now it seems to me that if I apply this formula, I can agree on which
spring to use. And I agree with you....don't think I'll notice much
difference based on the measurements taken. I think 'G' is near
enough the same on all the springs. Why would AMC use a variety of
different materials?
-Lu-
By the way.....I will be putting the small block together tomorrow,
so my concentration will 'spring ahead' to the more important
stuff! ;*)
--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Plumpy72@xxxx wrote:
> Lu
>
> You have had a lot of information and recommendations thrown your
way regarding the front coil springs. When it comes right down to it,
I don't think you will notice the difference between the 6 cylinder
or 8 cylinder springs in your application. The weight difference of
the two engines is not enough to make that much of a change. Just
leave the 6 cylinder springs in the Gremlin for now and concentrate
on other items of importance.