Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: The price of Modern Auto Repairs

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: The price of Modern Auto Repairs

See Davis you are able to work on these new cars. Me I haven't a clue.
Even if I did I would be unable to with my health and have to pay
through the nose for someone to fix it. I just bought a new fuel pump
for the new Hornet for 21$. 2 bolts 2 fuel lines and it's in for me. No
tanks to drop no electric anything. 15 min. since I am slow now and I am
done. I also got the carb kit and will rebuild the carb tomorrow after I
adjust the dwell on my son's 72 360 Javelin. That crappy Petronix
Electronic Ignition died and I put a dist. in it from a 69 390 AMX I
had. If you can afford the price of these new cars and can afford the
repairs go for it. It just ain't me.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message ---

amc74hornet <AMC74HORNET@xxxx> wrote:
--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Onree <onree@xxxx> wrote:
> I have to stand up for the reliability of modern cars. My very first new car
> was a 1970 Gremlin, purchased on April Fool's Day 1970. It cost $2143, white
> with red stripe and interior. Traded it three years later for a used 240Z. I
> have 2 Gremlins now, including a bone-stock, plain Jane, bench seat, rubber
> floormat 1973, 304 automatic on the column, that I got last year from the
> original (little old lady--really) owner. I love my Gremlins, and my Eagles
> too. But........
>
> My second new car was a 1995 Nissan Maxima SE, 3.0 v6, 5-speed. (There
> weren't ANY American made V6 four doors with manual transmission--I looked
> hard.) The 4th generation Maximas came out in the spring of 1994 as 1995
> models. I bought mine on May 16, 1995 (cost just under $22,000--about ten
> times what the Gremlin cost) and keep complete records on all my cars. Now,
> a month shy of ten years old, the car has 123,00 miles. Replaced the timing
> belt (late) at 77,000 miles for $443, original clutch started to slip at
> almost exactly 100,000 miles, $618, and just last month, the little hoses
> that go to each of the fuel injectors, $236. Stuff wearing out, not
> breaking. Other than that, gas, oil changes, anti-freeze flush, brake pads,
> tires, couple of batteries, headlight bulbs--the stuff any car needs. All
> the while utterly reliable at thirty five below in Minnesota or 130 degrees
> in Death Valley. The cloth interior has worn like iron, the Bose stereo
> still sounds great, and it still has the original exhaust system. I bet this
> car hasn't spent ten days in the shop in the last ten years, and my 1997
> Dodge Caravan minivan is nearly as good.
>
> The cars I drove in the fifties-sixties-seventies----sure they were a lot
> easier for me to work on. But they better be---they constantly needed
> SOMETHING worked on. Tune-ups, carburetors adjusted, chokes, valves
> adjusted, drum brakes adjusted, plugs, points, vacuum windshield wipers,
> front ends, mufflers and batteries that just lasted a couple of years,
> bias-ply tires, 2-speed Powerglides and 3-speed manuals.
> I love my old cars (I have ten--five AMC) but for comfort and reliability
> I'll take a newer car every time. They don't make 'em like the used to--and
> I'm glad they don't.
> Onree
>
>SO lets see......that would be 10 gremlins, one brand new gremlin per year for the 10 years. That would be nice a new car every year. I will still go for the older cars. You say you liked to work on your older cars. well atleast you could, and a timing belt costs 47.00 but you had to pay 443.00 because of the high labor cost associated with new cars.

I bought an 89 dodge dakota 4 years ago for 400.00 I put new brakes on it 189.00(shop wanted 694.00) and gave it a complete tune up 100.00( shop wanted 258.00). Last year I had the rear end blow on me. Replaced it for 100.00 took 2 hours. 6 months ago I replaced the radiator, belts hoses and waterpump, 140.00. This week the fuel pump died. Dealer wants 345.00 just for the part! Got it at advanced auto 67.00 I haven't gott to it yet as I am still working on my wifes 99 Sube 2.5 But the point is in 4 years I have put almost 100K miles on the dakota and it has cost me lsee then a grand. I am lucky I can usually figure out the mechanical stuff and save the big labor $$$. I tried to get into a new hi tech car and look what happened......MAJOR engine repair at 95K miles My cost will be under 500 bucks dealer would have charged close to 3000.00 Bucks!

The lesson I have learned is never buy another Subaru and definitly K.I.S. a long time ago I was told by an old man " If it has Ti$s or wheels it will give you problems" No offense to the ladies But it is defintly true!

Davis

--0-353310815-1082123260=:79716

<DIV><BR><BR><B><I>amc74hornet &lt;AMC74HORNET@xxxx&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<P><TT>--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Onree &lt;onree@xxxx&gt; wrote:<BR>&gt; I have to stand up for the reliability of modern cars. My very first new car<BR>&gt; was a 1970 Gremlin, purchased on April Fool's Day 1970. It cost $2143, white<BR>&gt; with red stripe and interior. Traded it three years later for a used 240Z. I<BR>&gt; have 2 Gremlins now, including a bone-stock, plain Jane, bench seat, rubber<BR>&gt; floormat 1973, 304 automatic on the column, that I got last year from the<BR>&gt; original (little old lady--really) owner. I love my Gremlins, and my Eagles<BR>&gt; too. But........<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; My second new car was a 1995 Nissan Maxima SE, 3.0 v6, 5-speed. (There<BR>&gt; weren't ANY&nbsp; American made V6 four doors with manual transmission--I looked<BR>&gt; hard.) The 4th generation Maximas came out in the spring of 1994 as 1995<BR>&gt; models. I bought mine on May 16, 1995 (cost just under $22,000--about ten<BR>&gt; times what the Gremlin cost) and
keep
complete records on all my cars. Now,<BR>&gt; a month shy of ten years old, the car has 123,00 miles. Replaced the timing<BR>&gt; belt (late) at 77,000 miles for $443, original clutch started to slip at<BR>&gt; almost exactly 100,000 miles, $618, and just last month, the little hoses<BR>&gt; that go to each of the fuel injectors, $236. Stuff wearing out, not<BR>&gt; breaking. Other than that, gas, oil changes, anti-freeze flush, brake pads,<BR>&gt; tires, couple of batteries, headlight bulbs--the stuff any car needs. All<BR>&gt; the while utterly reliable at thirty five below in Minnesota or 130 degrees<BR>&gt; in Death Valley. The cloth interior has worn like iron, the Bose stereo<BR>&gt; still sounds great, and it still has the original exhaust system. I bet this<BR>&gt; car hasn't spent ten days in the shop in the last ten years, and my 1997<BR>&gt; Dodge Caravan minivan is nearly as good.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The cars I drove in the fifties-sixties-seventies----sure they wer
e a
lot<BR>&gt; easier for me to work on. But they better be---they constantly needed<BR>&gt; SOMETHING worked on. Tune-ups, carburetors adjusted, chokes, valves<BR>&gt; adjusted, drum brakes adjusted, plugs, points,&nbsp; vacuum windshield wipers,<BR>&gt; front ends, mufflers and batteries that just lasted a couple of years,<BR>&gt; bias-ply tires, 2-speed Powerglides and 3-speed manuals.<BR>&gt; I love my old cars (I have ten--five AMC) but for comfort and reliability<BR>&gt; I'll take a newer car every time. They don't make 'em like the used to--and<BR>&gt; I'm glad they don't.<BR>&gt; Onree<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;SO lets see......that would be 10 gremlins, one brand new gremlin per year for the 10 years. That would be nice a new car every year. I will still go for the older cars. You say you liked to work on your older cars. well atleast you could, and a timing belt costs 47.00 but you had to pay 443.00 because of the high labor cost associated with new cars. </TT></P>
<P><TT>&nbsp;I bought an 89 dodge dakota 4 years ago for 400.00 I put new brakes on it 189.00(shop wanted 694.00) and gave it a complete tune up 100.00( shop wanted 258.00). Last year I had the rear end blow on me. Replaced it for 100.00 took 2 hours. 6 months ago I replaced the radiator, belts hoses and waterpump, 140.00. This week the fuel pump died. Dealer wants 345.00 just for the part! Got it at advanced auto 67.00 I haven't gott to it yet as I am still working on my wifes 99 Sube 2.5 But the point is in 4 years I have put almost 100K miles on the dakota and it has cost me lsee then a grand. I am lucky I can usually figure out the mechanical stuff and save the big labor $$$. I tried to get into a new hi tech car and look what happened......MAJOR engine repair at 95K miles My cost will be under 500 bucks dealer would have charged close to 3000.00 Bucks! </TT></P>
<P><TT>&nbsp;The lesson I have learned is never buy another Subaru and definitly K.I.S. a long time ago I was told by an old man " If it has Ti$s or wheels it will give you problems" No offense to the ladies But it is defintly true!&nbsp;</TT></P>
<P><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;</TT></P>
<P><TT>&nbsp;Davis </TT></P></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>

--0-353310815-1082123260=:79716--

--- End Message ---