Re: [BaadAssGremlins] 304 problem(?)

Eddie

The "backfiring" may be the exhaust from on cylinder escaping through the intake. The cause is more than likely due to a collapsedexhaust lifter. The first Gremlin I ever owner was a 74 with the 258.I had the same problem and thought it was a bad valve. I removed the head and brought it to a local machine shop for a rebuild. After I put it back together and started it, the noise was still there. A closer look revealed acollapsed lifter. Since the exhaust did not empty as usual, it escaped through the intake valve when it opened. I went to the parts store to buy a set of lifters. They did not have a complete set so I purchased enough for all the exhaust. I put the engine back together, packed the car and we left for a trip to California. I never had any more problems with that motor.

Good luck

Rick

By the way......if you decide to sell the Gremlin, will you give me a shot at the AMX flares and front spoiler?