How to ID a TorqueCommand / TorqueFlite

Date sent: 6 Apr 2004 18:49:11 -0000
From: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] Digest Number 317
Send reply to: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 16:11:27 -0000
From: "lumina333" <lumina3@xxxx>
Subject: Re: TorqueCommand 900 series and 727 Transmissions.

Can you tell me how to decode the stamped numbers?
> Unlike the 9 series - the 727 Identity is carried on all
> Transmissions - only stamped numbers will tell what
> the internals are about .
>
>> Brien.
> NEW YORK

On the Chrysler Transmissions - you use the Part #
that is stamped on the case .

That will show if the trans. is the Std. / HD / EX HD
being the 3 clutch / 4 clutch / 5 clutch .

I only know of AMC using the Std. / HD
Chrysler Internals in the 727 Series.

The Pn. or Part Number - is associated to the
YEAR of manufacture and the Model Transmission .

You'll see : P1234 56789 on the case
near the shift shafts and / or stamped on the Bell
Housing Flange .

Should you run across an AMC Auto. Trans .
you need to I.D.- many salvage yards have
the "Interchange" book - that tells what you
are looking at.

You'll have either a Std. TorqueCommand with
3 clutches / 3 steels or the HD unit from the
Wagoneer - with the 4 clutchs / 4 steels.

Cars came with the 3 clutch / 3 steels .

You CAN have the 4 clutches / 4 steels added
to your transmission - by you - using the
TorqueFlite Rebuild Video - or - by a reputable
builder - (be careful! - I mean Not AAMCO
or other schlock shops )

In the 900 Series - the A-999 was used behind
the MoPar 360V8 . Without extra cooling -
these had a 60k mile lifetime .

The A-999 is a 5 clutch / 5 steel unit -
the EX HD 900 series Trans. - is still found
in Wrangler JEEPS thru the year 2000 .

Should you decide you want an Automatic behind
your Engine - I would get one from an 80s Wagoneer -
as these are the HD units . I THINK they were used
thru the Wagoneers later life until the end in 1988 (?)

These came in Lock Up versions in 1981-1983 .
The Input Shaft will have a Pencil sized hole in
the center of the Input Shaft - allows fluid to pass
thru - .

This Lock Up feature adds what I term a
Hydraulic 4th gear - since the Torque Convertor
will 'Slip' - spinning the Input Shaft at Speed Y -
when the Convertor 'Locks' - the 'Slip' is eliminated
allowing the Input Shaft to spin at a faster Speed Z -

One nice thing also is that - when starting in 1st gear -
the Lock Up feature will give you a quicker start -
allowing the engine to spin up .

Racing Torque Convertors do this - except these are
Fixed Range - meaning - they lock up at a higher
RPM - usually above 2,500 RPM - until that level is
reached - they slip - and heat the Trans. Fluid / Trans.
and on a street car - waste gas .

So - the Lock Up design - takes it up to another Level .

AND

Race Torque Convertor builders are now making Race Lock Up
convertors - something not available until these late years .

Chrysler used Lock Up Torque Convertors on some of their
DRAG RACE ONLY vehicles - successfully - .

When they went to Production Vehicles - they cut back on
the Devices strengths - creating failures - which were corrected
in later production runs .

Always buy a NEW Torque Convertor when you go to install
your Automatic Trans.

Clutch / Band material is grit like - like sandpaper bits - that
end up in the convertor - and no - you can't get the junk out -
it comes out when it wants to - causing premature wear .

You'll need a tailshaft from a 2wd TorqueCommand to
replace the Transfer case - that is bolted on in its' place
should you obtain a Wagoneer TorqueCommand.

Then - check with B&M Racing - been around
for Eons - and helped Chrysler build the Race Program
around TorqueFlites .

They have a *Nice* 4 quart extra alloy cast Trans Pan
and a Trans Temp Gauage - so you can watch the Trans
Fluid Temp climb when going up long hills / towing / racing
etc .

The 727 takes a few more HP / Torque to spin - as it is
a heavier strength unit .

Putting a 900 series behind a Healthy 360 - will have you
'refreshening' / adjusting the trans. every few years - according
to builders / racers .

With the 727 series - you Install it once - give it PLENTY of
FRESH - COOLED fluid - Smile and Drive .

In the MoPar Vans of the 70s / 80s - they used the 727 behind
their Six cylinder engines .

<Make Sense ?>

Brien
NEW YORK