Re: German Parts Man on ebay

For what it is worth dept: These folks in Germany sent me a massive parts
list two years ago asking if I was interested in buying the whole inventory.
I do stuff like that you know. I still have the hue pile of papers, probably
500+ sheets, here somewhere. I never got back to them as other projects and
things superceded that.
The biggest obstacle was it was all in German. Granted, I could look up a
majority of the part numbers but the size would have tanek weeks alone,
something I didn't have.

You must all please remember AMC had a vast network of dealerships. Here is
my own dedication to those former dealerships, but is only a US & Canada
listing. I still have to finish Mexico, Central American and many US
territories. And sadly I don't have a list of all those places over the
pond:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/bodyAMC.htm

I also wish to add that AMC gave deep discounts to our military men and
women in the forms of well, discounts on vehicles. Ever see a military AMC
brochure/color catalog? Inside had a breakaway page that showed just why AMC
was the best car for your money for those in the service. Another incentive
was that AMC commonly placed their dealerships very close to US military
bases overseas, including Germany. Why? It is basically a shrewd marketing
ploy by AMC, as they knew that the servicemen and women would most likely
'buy American'. And they were dead on. But this also was used in the US.

For instance, where I grew up in Corpus Christi, Texas, we ARE a 'military
town'. Not only is the Naval Air Station based in Corpus Christi, but 30
miles away up the coast you have the Ingleside Naval Air Station and then
from where we lived, 35-40 miles south you had the Kingsville Air Staion.
And AMC had a 'presence' in CC and Kingsville. At the CC dealership it was
abuot 15 miles from the base, however, it was only 4 blocks from the Port
where the ships would dock! In other words, you got off the ship walked past
AMC to the USO.
Make sense to me in the 60s. AMC also had many contracts with the US
Military, and we had a slew of what we used to call 'army ambos' even though
the car was a Navy, or Marine vehicle. Seemed a majority of them were dark
green, beige, or grey. The regular officers got to use those vehicles, thay
had to rank to get them however, but all were 232-6 Ambassadors, four doors,
with no AC. No other options like PS, PDB either, just the basics. Only
those who had rank got the Ambassadors, Matadors and Rebels with AC, and
many of these also had the smallest V8 AMC would use in that model, like a
304 in the Matador. Many of these also had a metal plaque attached to the
dash somewheres althuogh some had it inside the driver door showing it was
property of the US Government. i ran across a 79 Concord in the Pick A Part
here just last year that was a military vehicle, but I do not know where it
was stationed, based, or what branch, it was dark blue, four door, 258-6,
AT, AC, PS and PB. I dug all over it inside and out trying to find out
anything like a sticker or decal or plate showing Marines, Navy, ect, but
nothing.

Which brings me back around to the German fellow with all the parts. I
understand a lot of concern with someone 'suddenly' appearing seemingly out
of nowhere with parts! You only have to dig thru the pages of Hemming's to
see the horror stories about those who scan 'wanted' ads then rip off people
like the fellow who was extremely proficient in anything Mopar, he knew his
part numbers, descriptions, and what it fit, and proceeded to scam people
out of last I heard $50K+ before Nevada authorities busted him. Still, this
is why I have a huge, and growing, Vendors List on my website. I have dealt
with these folks. And while I haven't dealt with the German folks in
question, if I could have read the massive amount of parts list they sent
chances are I would have dealt with them too as I had heard of them going
back in the 1990s and nothing but good. So I guess I see both sides here,
the concerns, and the issues we I guess with a post-9/11 world, even with
something like a old car, there are millions of Nigerians out there who want
your money and your identity!

If I recall in my conversation with the German people with the parts, they
bought out a number of dealerships overseas is how they ended up with all
those parts. And note that while it might seem that they should concentrate
on selling those parts to European AMCers, that would be such a tiny market
that to me at least, it would not be feasible. Just like many Renault people
in Europe buy Renault parts in the US. Why? Because when many AMC
dealerships closed, those who bought out the dealerships (myself included)
ende up with tons of stuff that was not on the shelves overseas. So my guess
is that the German folks ended up with this mess of AMC stuff from closed
down dealerships. good for them and I hope that it ends up in the hands of
AMC fans no matter where they are based! To me at least, it is a unique
opportunity for those who may need NOS parts not available here in the US
anymore.
Eddie Stakes
www.planethoustonamx.com