Re: Dash Resto Work Today

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Plumpy72@xxxx wrote:
> In a message dated 3/27/2004 5:59:57 AM Central Standard Time,
> amc74hornet@xxxx writes:
> Man that car sure had a short life? a 72 parked in 78.
> The original owner, Mike Cushen, sold the Gremlin to a friend of his in 1978
> and was aquired by me in 1985. Apparently, the new owner felt his plans for
> the car did not require registration so the title was never transfered. The
> title was released by the original owner when he signed the back of the title in
> 1978.
>
> After the car was purchased, the new owner decided to build it for
> racing.........a quarter mile at a time. Work was done to convert it into a drag car but
> it never saw the strip. The dash assembly and steering column had never been
> removed. The odometer registered between 59 and 60 thousand miles. I
> considered myself lucky to find such a rust free Gremlin body (in Michigan) when I got
> it in 1985.
>
> The weather is absolutely beautiful this morning. I'm going work on the
> Gremlin.
>
> Rick

So the car was aready gutted when you got it? sounds like it would have been a nice car if it was in one piece for a resto when you got it in 85. But Gremlin's like Hornet's which was the main stay of AMC from 1970 till the end were not on the list of cars to save or restore. Everyone wants an AMX or a Javelin or a Machine or SC/Rambler. I guess it is up to a group of people like us to keep them alive. I could not afford the above mentioned cars when they were new and I still can't. The big advantage we have over the other AMC guys is the swap ability of parts from 1970 till the end of AMC. There is a lot more small repo parts becomeing available from some venders for our cars in the last few years. The weather has turned nice but since I am still batteling bronkitus and am still weak I will stay inside. I spent an hour this morning sanding the plastic molding that screws under the steering column to the dash and primed it. I may work on sanding the dash some more this afternoon and the 2 dash end pieces I got from a friend that are black so a clean up and some SEM is all they need. The wife went to a church function and both son's are out of the house so it is peacefull. After 3 months of working on all these parts it is all finally comeing together. The Package tray need to be just cleaned and dyed and I have a set of mint black kick panels that just need a clean up and some SEM to freshen them up.
"Doc"