To balance or Not - It's Your Engine -

! YES !

Without a doubt - dynamic balancing is mandatory for
an Enthusiasts Vehicle - should they have the choice .

First - determine what RPM you spend the most time at -
given the area you live in .

So figure you tool around most of the time @ 2,000RPM.

You give the Balance Shop that RPM - they will balance
the engine for zero harmonics at that setting .

The Harmonic of say 2,000 RPM is 4,000 RPM .

So - coming out of 2,000 RPM - the engine will get
smoother again - the closer to 4,000 rpm you get .

Make SURE that this shop is a Genuine Balancing Shop !

You DOn't want "Dill the Mill" belt sanding the rods to
match weights by "Eye" ........... and a well used "Dope Scale" .

There are companies that just do this alone - and is Important
enough to me - to seek out a Really Good Balance Shop !

Without a proper balance - your engine will vibrate -
and once the engine is together - that is the way
it stays ......... half assed and showing it .

I had one engine I built balanced by E.E.Lindskog in
Bedford Mass.

They do Aerospace components primarily .

The motor turned out to be Incredibly smooth-
and since I had them lighten it while they had
it there - very "Blip Quik" - when you tapped
the throttle.

Knife Edge the Crankshaft counterweights as well.

To the Shop you Choose to Balance the Internals :

Bring :

Crank Pulley / Crank Pulley Bolt & Washer /
Harmonic Dampner / crank / bearings /
rods / rod bolts / wrist pins / wrist pin locks / pistons /
one ring set / torque convertor / flex plate with all
bolts & washers & locks .

Have all this rotating mass - balanced .

If this is a Gennie Balance Shop -

I would ask for them to lighten the crank - so
they will use less balancing material & the
engine will spin free-er and spin up / down
quicker .

That is what my 401 will be getting ........."The Werks" .

Been there and KNOW the Difference !

Brien.
NEW YORK

Message: 2