Re: Early Gremlin Question?

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, themixtoo@xxxx wrote:
> Doc, That 2 seater was the lightest car AMC had at the time and it did get
> really good fuel economy......How about 25MPG all the time. Even after I put
> those big Mickey Thompson 10" wide tires on the back LOL. 'The Mix'

My new 65 American 440 Hdtp 195.6 2BBL twin stick was 2600-2700 Lbs and got 29 Mph highway. If they used the Nash O.D. tech, from the late 50's the stripper Gremlin should have gotten at least 35 Mph. With a lighter car it could have been a not heard of at the time almost 40 Mpg. In the same instance my bought new 74 Hornet Hatchback 258 1BBL auto got 12 miles to the gallon when it was new before the engine broke in. After that it got a best of 18 Mpg. I think it is 3200-3400 lbs. For a supposedly compact car it was not much lighter than my 69 Rebel SST 290 V8 4 door. With a milled head and a re-curved distributer, a Holley econemaster carb, a Flex-o-lite fan, a B&M Trans Pack in the trans set on firm and radial tires the Hornet barely made 29 Mpg. I lost a 100$ bet with a freind that sold Ricers in 1979 that I could get 30 MPG. I couldn't even do 30 Mpg with a re-jetted Economaster with tech advice from Holley. The bottom line is my friend died 3 years go and I still have the Hornet after 30 years. Cold hard facts but the truth. I'm sorry he sold Ricer's that
ls where we disagreed. I miss him.
"Doc"