Re: Side exit exhaust? & what size tube for 401?

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "deezildennis" <dsinks@xxxx> wrote:
> I pressume bigger is better but is 2" good enough for a 401 for each
> bank?
>
> I have a ton of 2" laying around and a crossover pipe. :) Think it
> will hurt much?
>
> Also is anyone running a side exit exhaust?
>
> Im not looking for stock looking here. Im trying to do a period hop
> up/mild custom.
>
> Im not going crazy with it, just maybe doing some of the stuff to it
> if it was the 70's all over again!!
>
> Crap, I dont remember the 70's! :)

I would use whatever size the exit side of the muffler requires. Going smaller will restrict the system. You might re-think the side exhaust thing as the Gremlin is a short wheelbased car and the pipes exiting out the side in front of the rear wheel may cause excessive noise and exhaust fumes may choke you at a stop light. Another thing speed bumps maybe a problem. Been there done that in tha 60's and smartened up in the 70's. Also there may be a problem with state saftey inspection. I'd build a nice low restriction system and stuff it uder the body like the stock one. I also had a system that dumped the exhaust right in front of the rear axel, the noise resonated into the passengers comprtment and was unbearable. Just my 2 cents from 39 years of personal experience.
"Doc"