Re: [BaadAssGremlins] repairing the rear wheel well

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] repairing the rear wheel well

In a message dated 2/15/2004 4:11:14 PM Central Standard Time, dsinks@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
How did some of you replace yours that were rotted out?
I considered myselfvery luck when it came to the rear wheel wells. Theprevious owner had butcherd the quarter panels and the wheel wells were aluminum. There wasn't anything I could consider a floor pan from the door pillar back to the rear of the car.  I found an NOS set of quarted panels as well as NOS outer wheel well pieces at a dealership in Michigan. I think it was around 1987. The quarter panels were for a year later than my 72 and cost me $500 for the pair. I don't remember what I paid for the outer wheel well pieces and I had a local sheet metal shop fabricate the inner pieces to complete the tubs. I found a rust free Gremlin in a salvage yard in central Texas and got the rear quarter panel extensions. Everything else has been pieced together.

It's not going to be a simple task to replace the rusted out sheet metal if you plan on replacing the outer wheel well.........there will be a lot of spot welds to clean up around the wheel lip, the wheel well seam, the quarter panel extension and the floor. Its not the easiest area to getto with the rear end in the way, but it can be done. If you do find adoner car, use it to learn from prior to removing the metal fromyours. You may decide to just cut out the bad part with a cut-off wheel and then weld in another piece of metal.

Another option is to clean the wheel well to remove any dirt, undercoating and rust. Weld a piece over the hole then cover the entire area with a heavy layer of undercoating. If it is done correctly, no one will notice the patch job.

Good luck.

Rick