Re:4bbl vs 2bbl 401 ...CJ-5 emissions failures... 73 is emission year st

Re:4bbl vs 2bbl 401 ...CJ-5 emissions failures... 73 is emission year start

 On your CJ-5, did it have the stock 2-bbl carb?
THAT was probably the reason it had so much trouble
passing emissions. The Carter BBD's are VERY prone to
crappy operation. Everything I've read about most AMC
carbs on the 6-cylinders are that they were junk
during the '70s. ALL my current Gremlins I've had
running at one time or another( '78, '74, '72 )
suffered from carb issues. Both 2 and 1 bbl variety.
I'm still trying to figure out which Ford Annular Ring
carb will fit, I heard it was a sweet 2-bbl, and had
great running characteristics.
As far as the 401 in the Gremlin, if it's worth
doing the intake swap, I'd emission it with the 2-bbl,
then swap it out for the 4 later. It only has to pass
the test, is there any law to prevent you from
changing it later? LOL. Any cop stopping you won't be
checking for carb size. It'd just be a pain swapping
it every time you need to emission the car.
As far as emissions, '68 was the first year (started
in CA, mostly air cleaner add-ons and pre-heat stuff
), then advanced to '73 as the first true smog year
for all other states. My '74 Gremlin has no catalytic
converter, 232 / 1-bbl, PCV valve, and heater tube to
the air cleaner. Pretty basic. GOod luck with your V-8
Gremlin project , I'm envious!

Jerry Casper
owner , 8 Gremlins ( all 6's )