Re: Disc Brake Question

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Plumpy72@xxxx wrote:
> In a message dated 1/22/2004 7:38:11 PM Central Standard Time,
> twa1950@xxxx writes:
>
> > As for as changing from drums to disc. I would think it would all depend on
> > what you are doing with your car.
>
> I would have to go along with Terry......it depends on your driving habits. I
> have owned cars with drum brakes and some with disc. I've never had any
> problems with brake failure on any of them.
>
> Right now, I have drum brakes at all four corners of my Gremlin. Although I
> plan to put a lot of miles on the car, it will not be a
> day-to-day driver. I'll hit the local cruises/car shows and generally, just
> show it off.
>
> I can always upgrade to disc brakes, but for now, the drums suit me just
> fine.
>
> Rick

What rear do you have in your Gremlin? If you have larger brakes than the original ones it makes stopping better. I am a hard driver, even with a stock 6 Cyl. them drum brakes heat up fast and fade. It is a little better now because I swapped in the complete 79 Concord rear and that has 11 inch rear brakes versus the 10 inch ones from the 74's rear. Spring time comes and I do the fronts and will have the whole brake set up front and rear from the Concord installed. I understand that the 10 inch drums are hard to find and are expensive. The new Hornet has 10 inch drums on the rear that will have to be replaced when I do the brake job in the spring. Rebuilt calipers are available locally but I don't know about rotors. I'll have to check on that. My son got 2 new rotors from Kennedy for his Javelin that are the same as the Hornet's but they were pricy. I got to check out my local auto parts store.
"Doc"