Re: Insane Shipping Costs

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxx> wrote:
> Part of the problem here is really simple. You don't know where the item you
> have will be going. You can easily figure out weigh, but still don't know
> whether it is going to the next town or Sweden like this load of stuff
> someone just bought off me on ebay:
> ==========================
> Hi, you won multiple auctions, please disregard the other emails and print
> this and send with International Money Order OR
> AMC AMX POSTER 2217993564 $14.00/$5.00US
> 70 AMX Javelin Donohue PS taillight w housing 2218004897 $29.00/$14.00US
> AMC AMX Dealership Racing Posters 2218042368 $39.95/$6.00US
> 79 AMC NOS CC AMX Spirit Concord Pacer 2218043373 $9.00/$2.50US
> AMC AMX Testors model, new unopened 2218043484 $19.00/$4.95US
> AMC Rambler new 1:25 model (SC/Rambler) 2218043598 $17.00/$4.95US
> The second price is shipping in the US. Total cost of items is $128.00. If
> you wish for it to be sent slow, 4-6 weeks shipping would be about $26.00US.
> If you wish for it to be sent via air, shipping is roughly $47.00US. I have
> shipped overseas for years,a nd if you noticed, two of my auctions are going
> to Spain and Belgium also. I don't accept paypal, or credit cards, I do
> however accept US cash (if sent this way, send it registered where I sign
> for it and show drivers license); or International Money Order US funds, or
> check drawn on US funds/US bank. Total for everything by
> SHIP: $154.00
> AIR: $175.00
> Either way let me know and thank you again.
> Eddie Stakes
> 1902 Wycliffe
> Houston, TX. 77043 USA
> ======================================
> So in this case, and also many other (not my auctions!) people "estimate"
> shipping. There are some who simply put a fat figure int here, like I
> recently bought a rear stainless NOS roof spoiler for my 72 Ambassador SST
> wagon, and shipping on the bottom said '$20 ship in US' but I know as
> shipping for many years, it would be about $12. I wanted the item so bid and
> won it, and guess what, when it arrived, shipping was not $12, but $15 due
> to extra padding/bubble in the box. Not mad at all, would have paid more if
> had to.
>
> Everyone should always consider shipping, some auctions have the ship costs
> added in with the item, some has it in the description, like my auctions
> with the Rebel Machine rims for instance, letting people know what to expect
> to pay:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2219416920&ssPageName=ADM
> E:L:DS:US:8
>
> But I may add you have a huge garage sale on ebay, and there are tons of
> people there who have never boxed, shipped items of different sizes and
> shapes, so again, they estimate it. If you are concerned about someon'e
> shipping costs, there is a button on ebay to 'ask seller a question' to make
> [...]

This mirror buy was not an eBay thing. My son who worked shipping for a restaurant supply company told me there is a flat rate from the USPS for 5-10-15 lbs. Insurance on an item up to 50$ is 1.30$. A single mirror could not be more than 5 lbs, box packing and all. Like you said Eddie if you have options go for them and I did. I bought the 2 mirrors from the guy in Canada, I sent him his money this morning. Thanks to a Canadian brother I am getting my parts at a resonable price satisfactory to both of us. Say AMEN & AMC!!!
"Doc"