Re: Interior Parts Progress

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Plumpy72@xxxx wrote:
> In a message dated 1/8/2004 4:03:51 AM Central Standard Time,
> amc74hornet@xxxx writes:
>
> > I'll have to buy a special polishing kit for models to clean up the
> > scratches.
> >
> Doc
>
> Just how bad are the dash lens scratched. If the scratches aren't too deep
> the lens can be cleaned up pretty good using 3M Hand Glaze. The hand glaze is
> used to remove swirl marks and minor scratches from car finishes and works great
> on plastic. I also use it to keep my plastic lens prescription safety glasses
> in good shape.
>
> It would make it easier if the lens are loose and you are able to remove them
> from their frame. Put a few drops on the lens and rub it briskly with a soft
> cloth. I keep cloth diapers around for using the hand glaze on the wife's
> Impala plus it keeps the paint and chrome on the Harley sparkling.
>

> Rick

The lenses are fairly well scratched up. It appears that this gauge panel has been kicking around for a while. The rest of it is blemish free. I was able to pop them out as they are not glued in to strong and there is 3 -- 1/8" plastic pins that line up the lense and are touched with heat like from a soldering iron to melt them in place. These break off easily. From my model supply's I have 1/8" plastic rod that I drill and super glue back in where the broken ones were. I did this on my other Hornet's dash. I have some 3M Plastic Polish that is supposed to be for bike windshields to remove scratch's ond swirls. I'll try that first but I think I will need the modeling polishing kit to get all the scratches out.
"Doc"