Re: The Rambler Mentality

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Davis Martin <martin-davis@xxxx> wrote:
> Doc,
> Thats great info. You are certainly a master modeler! I have a gremlin grille I am gonna try to restore and I was thinking of using the plastic weld stuff. What do you think?
> Davis
>

> Just finished the last part of the glueing and sanding on the 3 spoke steering wheel spacer and primed it. A lot of advanced model builders use an old food dehydrator to cure glue, primer & paint rapidly. I got one and the spacer is now cooking over night, tomorrow it will get a finish sanding and a cote of black paint and will cook for another 3 days, Hopefully saturday I will install the spacer, wheel and all.
> "Doc"

I am not a master modeler but am pretty good at it since I been doing it since 1957. I have learned a lot being a moderator at a Yahoo modeling group called Scale Concepts. That's where I learned about useing a food dehydrator for drying enamel paints. You know how slow enamel takes to really cure, but after 3 days my steering wheel spacer will be as dry as if it was 3 months old. As a model builder and working on real cars I have experimented and used every kind of glue imaginable. Some with success and others being a down right failure. This Plastic Welding System stuff is the best I have found for real cars. I haven't used it on a grill but I think you will be pleased. A few simple tips clean the parts to be glued real good. I also lightly scuff the area, that makes the glue grip better. Another benifit of this stuff is it cures in 15 min. Also since it is a 2 part epoxy when mixed it has the consistency of a paste witch also acts as a filler. I even mix up extra some times and use it as a filler. Another trick I use is to use some model sheet plastic to make a patch on the back of what I am repairing if possible to strenghten the joint. Along with the steering wheel spacer I also have a few other interior pieces to repair. I just picked up a fresh tube just to make sure I don't run out. Oh the stuff works great but smells HORRIBLE. Use it in a well ventilated area.
"Doc"