Re: My 71

I know the feeling about no completion date. If mine were a primary
transportation vehicle it would have been completed a long time ago.
Right now it has its own space in the garage and I work on it
whenever I have the time and money.

I stripped it down to the bare shell and started scrapping the
undercoating off the underside and the front suspension. I figured if
I'm going to build me a Gremlin I might as well build it to last.
Eventually, I sand blasted the suspension pieces and the engine
compartment and painted everything with POR 15 paint.

I bought my first Gremlin new in 1974. I wanted a V8 but the dealer
only had the six bangers in stock. I remember the first Gremlin I saw
in our area.......I laughed at it and called it a sawed off toy box.
That was until I saw one with a V8.......then I just had to have one.

In 1982 I finally got one with a V8. I think it was a 73. It had a
390. The heads were ported/polished and were shaved .050". The
pistons were TRW flat-tops and had been flycut .050". The cam was
hydraulic with a .570" lift and a .308 degree duration. It had a
Torker intake with a Holley. The headers were Headmans. It was
actually a little much for the street and it seemed like I was always
having to fix something.

The one I have now was built a little more on the mild side. I wanted
some horsepower but did not want to sacrifice dependability. I have
had a lot of fun building the Gremlin and when I'm finished, I plan
to enjoy driving her for a long time. Someday, one of my grandsons
might enjoy it just as much.......the other will have to settle for
my Harley.