Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Hey Lu -- Gremlin Locks?

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Hey Lu -- Gremlin Locks?

Thanks for the kind words Lu. On the locks the only glitch in the works
will be if someone has changed the ignition switch tumbler. Such was the
problem I had with my orange car. The GM & AMC keys are different and
you can't interchange them. You used to be able to buy AMC specific
aftermarket tumblers a few years ago but now they say AMC on the package
but they use a GM key. So the door key will not fit the ignition switch.
Luckily for me Rick had an AMC tumbler in his parts car that he gave me.
I just had it keyed to my yellow cars key. As far as the alternator
fiasco it was just that. If I would have gotten a good rebuilt Motorola
I would probably not have gone with the Delco. I used a 100 amp Power
Master I bought from Kennedy American. The Motorola was only a 35 amp. I
got 4 bad Motorola's in a row. For somthing that was supposed to be a
bolt in it was a nightmare, but it is finally done and woking
flawlessly. With an installation kit from Kennedy American on a V8 it
truly is a bolt in unless you have A/C. My problem was a 6 cyl. with P/S
that caused clearance problems between the alt. and the larger power
steering box
and fan clearance on the mounting bracket. I could not believe that no
one had ever put a Delco in a 74 Hornet as I got no help from any of the
AMC lists with the exception of a belt no# for a belt that was 5/8"
shorter than stock to cure the last hurdle. On the question of what coil
to use I use an Acell Super Coil in both Hornets. The yellow one for
over 25+ years. I just replaced it a while ago just because it was old
and it is now still working in my son's 72 Javelin. I use point dist.
and am not a fan of electronic's so I have to have a ballast resister
wired into the ignition system to keep the points from burning up. You
can use the coil without the ballast resister with electronic ign. Just
installing the coil without touching anything else on the engine and you
will feel the difference. It made my orange car run better even with a
dist. going bad that I did not know of last week. "Doc"

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used

--- Begin Message ---
Thank you for the great lock advice, Doc. I will definately go that
route as it sounds much easier (& less expensive) than having a
locksmith return to my house. I also read your many posts here and on
AMX files regarding your alternator problems. Your explanation has
saved me time and effort while deciding to rebuild the working one
that came with the engine or buy a new one. And which one to buy that
will fit. Now I need a good coil recommendation. I really appreciate
your time and advice Doc! -Lu-
--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, AMC74HORNET@xxxx wrote:
> Here's a suggestion that might save you some money. Take a lock
cyl. out
> of one of the doors. Take the plastic glove box bezel with the
glove box
> lock out. The door lock is connected to the locking mechanism buy a
clip
> that you pop off the shaft but stays attached to the lock itself
and the
> lock itself is held in the door buy a big horse shoe clip that you
pop
> off. 5-6 screws hold the glove box bezel in. Bring these 2 items to
the
> locksmith and have him make you the keys that match the locks. This
way
> you also get an ignition switch key which is the same as the door
key
> and the glove box key should be the same as the hatch key. This way
you
> save on a service call, but will not help you with the locking gas
cap.
> You could probably drill out the lock yourself. I had all the locks
in
> my orange car keyed to the yellow cars keys. Since we have 6 cars
> between me and my son and 4 of them are AMC's one set of keys for
both
> of my Hornets is one less set of keys I have to fumble for.
> "Doc"

--- End Message ---