Re: [BaadAssGremlins] How Bart should 'fix a crack' .......

From: "Brien Tourville" <hh7x@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2004/10/19 Tue AM 08:59:02 EDT
To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: badass73gremlin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] How Bart should 'fix a crack' .......

Thanx for the tips Brien and Doc ,thanx for yours as well
Bart

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used

Bart - if you've a Model / Hobby Shop nearby -
check them for a good plastics glue.

This stuff essentially 'chemically melts' the plastic
- then 'cures' with air to a hardness.

Always do your repairs from Behind .

You can open a "V" along the crack line with a dremel
- from behind - making a trough or  "V" that
doesn't need to be deep - just a shallow "V".

Check the Front surface to get the alignment
perfect - then put a light bead of glue in the
'V' behind the crack & let cure .

You can go back and glue on a 'patch'
from behind - to strengthen that area
if it is to be flexed .

Maybe some Fibre'Glas matt behind
the crack & some boat resin for the
stiffness.

Take some body filler after the part has
cured - 24hrs. - and should you want to
paint - run some across the crack line
to see if there are any voids.

Genlty smooth with XXXX steel wool
as a polish - then paint with a semi-
gloss / flat matte finish .

As to the busted off part -
you can get at the Hobby Shop
a "Rubber Mold Kit" - .

This will allow you to make an
"Impression'' into a rubber material
that cures to a hardness - of the
shape that you want to duplicate.

As you know - the back is the front
when making impression molds -
meaning -

when you press the back of something
down into the mold material - you are
looking at the front on top.

Should you want a replication of the
front side - be sure you find the correct
section from the rest of the grille to duplicate.

- hit the Hobby sites from
a Google search :

Making plastic part Molding material '
Rubber Molds
Making model parts from molds
etc.

There is one book I bought that is still
packed away - got it from that Car Book
Catalog - all about making small parts from
molds - it  should also show up in a Google
Search - but a good Hobby Shop that deals
with Model Aircraft RC should have everything
you'll need to create plastic parts .

        Brien.
   NEW YORK

______