[BaadAssGremlins] Hey Mix: Hornet X v. Gremlin X equipment

-----Original Message-----
From: themixtoo@xxxxxxx [mailto:themixtoo@xxxxxxx]

John, First off, what I said was just my 2 cents, nothing
personal. Ive owned 3 'X' Gremlins and they all had the
'turned' dash inserts. A '73 a '74 and a '76, and they
were all the same. The 'X' on the back is in the wrong
spot too.          'The Mix'

------------

No problem, Mix...I wasn't getting upset. This
eMail thing just looks that way when we type it
out....words without tone can be misread as
attitude...but there's none here. :)

The 'X' emblem does seem a bit off, but it's there
and only adhesive....easy fix.

I just looked at my brochures and here's what they
show (ignoring base and DL models, looking only at
the Xs)-

1973:
Hornet X has painted bezels (match interior color)

Hornet X package consists of just 4 items:
3-spoke steering wheel
14" 8-slot wheels
Rally stripes
'X' emblem on rear panel

For Gremlin X, far more X package details are listed:
'Spear' side stripes
Painted grill
14" 8-slot wheels
D70-14 black tires
Space Saver spare
'custom' interior with bucket seats
cargo area insulation and carpeting
3-spoke steering wheel
interior appointment package
special decals

One of the two last items may be the turned insert.
No brochure photos show them, tho...not until later.

Seems Gremlins and Hornets were not created so equal,
at least at the start of the hatchback model!

My 74 booklet shows the X package now adds bucket seats
(sure...they couldn't put them in my '73, damn it!!),
but nothing else changes, so painted dash bezels remain.
(Hey, didya know there was a 'Rallye X' package for '74,
similar to the same option for 1972? It added tach, oil
& amp gauges, leather-wrapped steering wheel, black
column and gauge cluster! Anybody got one of these
rarities?? I know I just recently saw a pic of a Hornet X
with tan interior and a black column...who's was that??)

For 1975, the 'Rally X' is gone again, but the X gets a
dash 'X' marking and the grille and tail panel are now
blacked out (tho a pic in the 74 brochure shows the rear
blackout, too). Still no mention of the turned dash, but
the '75 Gremlin X dash is shown all-black.

For '76 Gremlin X shows the turned dash on the left side
only (interior color on right)..this is the first brochure
pic showing either car as getting this. Hornet X shown with
WOODGRAIN dash dezels!!

For 1977, final year of this dash, Gremlin X still has
turned bezel on left, interior color on right. Gremlin X
also shown with separately optional 3-gauge dash including
clock. 'Til now, this was only seen in Hornet.
Hornet X still has the woodgrain bezels, but Hornet-AMX now
has turned bezels on both sides.

Seems no Hornet X ever got a turned dash, according to the
books. Now I'm *really* glad I won that auction!!

John

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used